Fish That Like To Burrow Into Sand.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nortonmad213

Fishaholic
Reaction score
basically my tank substrate is sand (around 2" deep)
and ive read that if left alone there is the possibility of anaerobic spots which when moved releases toxic chems in to the water.
i was wondering was there any fish that will burrow and disturb all the sand so that this doesn't happen,
thanks in advance

Horse face loaches are the only fish that bury themselves that I can think of. Many loaches and cories will sift through the sand, but not to any great depth.

MTS will do that job as Lille said, and Assassin snails also like to bury themselves.

thats brilliant thanks, i was more looking for fish over snails because i have trouble ridding myself of them when they take over.
do you know their parameters diet size etc?
thanks.

Some freshwater giant clams. They move and till the substrate at night. I've kept one for a year without any problems except the daily change in the land(aqua)scape lol..

Weather loaches or any worm-like loaches are the best diggers

just as i was getting set on one thing you throw another in the mix
evilmad.gif
 lol
thanks all the same i gotta look at everything before i make any desicions so thanks for another angle
winner.gif

The weather loach seem a bit to big, there are kuhli loach which borrow into sand if its fine

i thought that khulis only burrowed when they were feeling threatened,
correct me if im wrong but thats why i hadn't thought about them much
thanks all the same

I am not sure, as some that i had a few years ago borrowed but a few that i got a few months ago dont really borrow. so its  a chance 

ok well i'll give them a look cause they are amazing animals (my mate has a load of them)
i'll keep you posted.
gotta wait for tank to cycle first :p
shouldnt be too much longer

If i was you i take my time and decide so you have the correct fish and dont regret your choices later on.

thats why i'm asking now while its still cycling,
so even if i do choose i cant have them yet so if i change again i can

Haha! They're just nice to look at. The clams i mean. They also act as a natural filter.

I believe weather loaches grow big in countries with cooler climates but in warm, asian countries they usually stay under 5 inches. Invasive adaption i guess.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back