Fish suggestions? Beginner.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

81T3-cDbTLL._SL1500_.jpg

Is this the correct one I should order?

Thank you, put my mind at rest knowing that my water is good. So do you think if I go purchase the Tetra SafeStart tomorrow and add it to my new large tank, the cycle would start and I should be good to go? How long would you recommend doing the cycle before adding fish?

Yes, that is the product. Follow the instruction on the SafeStart. I believe you put the fish in with a certain amount of SS, and add some each day. But the bottle will tell you.

I trust you have not added pure ammonia to this new tank? Fish food won't hurt if you did (but don't add any now), but pure ammonia is different.

Follow the instruction on the SafeStart. I believe you put the fish in with a certain amount of SS, and add some each day. But the bottle will tell you.

I trust you have not added pure ammonia to this new tank? Fish food won't hurt if you did (but don't add any now), but pure ammonia is different.

I've not added anything what so ever to the tank. I filled the tank 24 hours ago, plunged in the filter, heater and bubble blower and I've not touched it since.

I've not added anything what so ever to the tank. I filled the tank 24 hours ago, plunged in the filter, heater and bubble blower and I've not touched it since.

Did you use water conditioner? The Prime or the API? If not, you might add that now. Especially if you have chloramine added to your tap water; chlorine will dissipate out of water after 24 hours, but not chloramine.

Did you use water conditioner? The Prime or the API? If not, you might add that now. Especially if you have chloramine added to your tap water; chlorine will dissipate out of water after 24 hours, but not chloramine.

Oh sorry I forgot to mention I did add some of the TapSafe straight after filling the tank. Heres the product;

34397.jpg

Sorry if that was crucial information i forgot to add, I'm British and we have different things to the US.

Oh sorry I forgot to mention I did add some of the TapSafe straight after filling the tank. Heres the product;

34397.jpg

Sorry if that was crucial information i forgot to add, I'm British and we have different things to the US.

OK, that's fine. Someone mentioned Prime and API...may have been another thread. Prime is a good conditioner to use during the initial period as it will detoxify ammonia, nitrite and nitrate though only temporarily, 24-36 hours, but sometimes that is helpful. But the SafeStart with only six small fish in a 125 liter tank should not be any problem.

I'm assuming that doesn't add anything to start the cycle? Does that just dechlorinate the water?

Presumably, unless it says on the back that it adds bacteria or something. But most water conditioners detoxify chlorine, chloramine (some do, some don't), and some heavy metals. Anything beyond this may be less than helpful, example, a couple add aloe vera which has no benefit and can damage fish gills over time. Always read the ingredients in fish products, same as human.

Presumably, unless it says on the back that it adds bacteria or something. But most water conditioners detoxify chlorine, chloramine (some do, some don't), and some heavy metals. Anything beyond this may be less than helpful, example, a couple add aloe vera which has no benefit and can damage fish gills over time. Always read the ingredients in fish products, same as human.

Great! Feel much better about the whole situation now i've been educated on a few things lol! Will order the Tetra SafeStart now. :#

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back