Fish Recommendations For Fluval Edge 23L Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

There's no way an Edge is big enough for cories; not even the pygmies.

I know the Edge doesn't have a lot of surface area, but there is some; more than enough for a Betta, if you really want one. I wouldn't try putting anymore fish in there though; I think that would be enough; just have some shrimp, or an apple snail or something.

I dont actually know why i said they would be ok, wow thanks for advising, mind blank...

We all have those moments mate!

Moments?? That's me all the time!!

Air pumps are a great idea. Great for gas exchange and look pretty nifty with an airstone or wall.

If u are impatient (like me), and don't wanna do a fishless cycle for 8 weeks then you could find someone who has a well established cycled tank and nab some of their filter sponge. Reduces the time but make sure like kitty kat said to test frequently to monitor the process of the ammonia n nitrite. (Sorry can't quote via my blackberry). There's a thread of ppl on here willing to donate media.

Experts please don't pounce on me for posting this, just an option if ur as impatient and impulsive as I am.

Once I fill a new tank with water I have to ban myself from lfs or I'll immediatly buy a load! Far too impulsive for my own good!

so Kitty Kat if i was to start the whole process again from fresh what would you recommend i do?.... because you seem to know quite alot about it! :)
Fish-less cycle, as per instructions in the beginners resource on here. I recommend 3-4 ppm of ammonia as best concentration for the cycle. As someone else mentioned above, try to get some mature media to speed it up, if you can. The process itself is a matter of feeding the bacteria household ammonia so that they multiply. You should use a liquid test kit for the tests because the strips are not accurate.

There are a lot of logs on here where people record their progress and I will be starting one in a few days (link to mine is in my signature).

I think the tank is not quite big enough for a Betta, but if you do go for one, I also think that you should keep the water level at least 0.5 cm from the top bit of glass.

Thanks Kitty Kat a will just start again i dont mind waiting for a few weeks to get it done the right way :D

and i have seen a few fluval edge tanks with a betta in and they seem to be quite happy in the tank tbh the fluval edge does give a fish list that its sutiable for and it says Betta's is one of them.

but lets just get it sorted and i will see how it goes then :D :fish:

the fluval edge does give a fish list that its sutiable for and it says Betta's is one of them.
Deosn't it also picture a five banded or tiger barb as well though; I wouldn't take any notice of that :crazy:

I think the Edge is actually a very nice little tank, but you can't do much with it.

A few male Endlers or guppies or a betta or 6 or 8 microrasbora, plus some shimp and a couple of snails and that's really it; but its big advantage is that it does let those things really come into their own, whereas they'd be lost in a huge tank and you wouldn't appreciate them in the same way.

Slowly started again following kitty kats instructions a wanna get this right :)

My grandad has some filter media I'm getting off him later and a will get the tank sorted tonight when a get in from work

Can I just say, dont taker any advice from that film clip. It is complete rubbish. After watching about 2 minutes of it, I turned it off because of the complete tripe that guy is coming out with.

'Betta fish dont need filtration per se, they dont need aeration, they dont need a heater, you can just put them in a really tiny bowl.'

Betta's need at least 5 gallons of warm, filtered water, with some plants for them to rest on. Granted aeration isnt needed, but good surface agitation is always good to have.

Anyway, glad you're following Kat's advice, she's good :)

My lfs used to sell those betta cubes. I remember first time I saw them I was mortified. I initially thought they were for keeping the bettas in there to sell on, but they were selling them for the fish to permamently live in :(
The cubes were no more than 4 inches each side!

yeah i have seen those betta bowls and i was disgusted to see that poor fish cramed into that tiny bowl.

but heres my tank so far

- fishless cycle week 3-4 (lost count :blink: )

The tank is looking good at the moment i did a water test at the end of my first week on a fresh fishless cycle after taking some advice from you guys and the water was looking promising but my friend borrowed my test strips and i havnt seen them again so im waiting for him to pull his finger out and get me some new ones to test again.

Got some bogwood in there, got another bit on the way and im still waiting for some plants to be delivered a did have 2 Amazon Sword Plants in there that i got out my grandads tank but when i did the new water change to restart i left them out the water to long and they didnt recover once a put them back in :( which was a shame, so waiting for some new plants and i might put some java moss on my bogwood what do you guys reckon?

Oh and the cave on the right is just made up of slate that i smashed up and stuck together with aquarium silicone looks really nice cheap and easy DIY decorations :)

got some blue LED Light strips in the light hood aswell which look wicked in the dark, and hopefully when they get here im gonna have some Cool White LED Bulbs in there aswell which will look amazing :D

IMG-20110802-00057.jpg

Test strips are not accurate, get your mate to give you the cash he owes you and get a liquid test kit, you should be able to pick up an API master kit for 25 pounds delivered. Java moss is great, but wait till the cycle is finished as ammonia + light = algae.

I'm almost at the start of week 3 too (of my project, trying to keep detailed info on a fish-less cycle), it's going rather slow here too..

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back