fish losing colour

fatguppy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
:/ WE have just introduced an air pump with long aeration tube. The fish initially seemed to find this huge fun, however, we have two bronze corys who are looking distinctly fed up, and (is this our imagination ?) the tiger barb male appears to be looking more like the females (ie losing red coloration). WE have 3 guppies (1 male, 2 female), swordtails (same gender mix), five glowlight tetras (God knows what gender they are). The tetras also seem to be a little less vivid in colour.

Are we being paranoid or have we introduced something too stressful?

Help please!!!

Jane :sick:

Could well be that the bubbles are causing too strong a current for the fish to feel happy in. I very much believe in the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". The fish were happy before with no problems, why put in something that stresses them out. By the way, how big is your tank?

Only a 72 litre tank - not huge - I think we're probably a bit understocked or at least okay.

I thought it may be stress but they seemed to be having a ball at first.

Thanks for the input I appreciate it!

Jane xx

Can you post test results in ommonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph, how may fish, do you have neon tetra's and have they lost there colour in the red stripe.

Turn off the air pump for a day and see if it improves? Thats what I would do. As gadazobe said, if it was ok before, why change it. If you have a decent filter that aggitates the surface, there is no need for the bubbles.

How old is the tank by the way? if its new, then it may just be coincidental that they are showing stress from the air pump and its actually down to new tank syndrome. Water test results would help either way.

Jon

Wilder said:
Can you post test results in ommonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph, how may fish, do you have neon tetra's and have they lost there colour in the red stripe.
No3 = 25
no2 = 5
gh = less than 10
ph = 7.2
kh = 6od

Bear with me cos we are still struggling with the tester!

No neon tetras - just 5 glowlights - which were losing colour on body. 3 x tiger barbs, 3 x swordtails, 3 x guppies, 2 x bronze corys (and two acquatic frogs!) - this bit in brackets because my husband blames them for everything!

Jane :S

fatguppy said:
Wilder said:
No3 = 25
no2 = 5
gh = less than 10
ph = 7.2
kh = 6od

Bear with me cos we are still struggling with the tester!

No neon tetras - just 5 glowlights - which were losing colour on body. 3 x tiger barbs, 3 x swordtails, 3 x guppies, 2 x bronze corys (and two acquatic frogs!) - this bit in brackets because my husband blames them for everything!

Jane :S
We've turned off the air pump and the tiger barb is getting his colour back. Damn those LFS! They'll sell you anything if you look dumb enough!!

It is a new tank and we are probably panicking about the oxygen levels, so maybe we need to leave well alone until the cycling is working effectively and see.

I take it then, if the cycling is working we don't need the pretty bubbles?? :D

Jane

We've turned off the air pump and the tiger barb is getting his colour back. Damn those LFS! They'll sell you anything if you look dumb enough!!

It is a new tank and we are probably panicking about the oxygen levels, so maybe we need to leave well alone until the cycling is working effectively and see.

I take it then, if the cycling is working we don't need the pretty bubbles?? :D

Jane

Do an immediate water change you have a nitrite reading this is what making them pale due to stress.

Wilder said:
Do an immediate water change you have a nitrite reading this is what making them pale due to stress.
Doing one now! Maybe I'll eventually get some sleep! Just as well I love the little buggers!!!!

Ps Can I swear on here or is that word not allowed?

-_-

Jane

PPS - thanks so much for all your help - I can't tell you how much it's helped.

:fun:

Good luck now how you feel as was i water changing last night.

fatguppy said:
Not allowed LOL, family forum.

You are doing the right thing with the water change, make sure you are using dechlorinator and get it to the right temp before adding to the tank. New tank syndrome catches lots of new people out, me included. Cycling should be a patient process and preferably using the fishless method (see pinned topics).

Jon

-_- Guess we're all wise with hindsight - I only discovered fishless cycling - via this website - AFTER I'd got the fish - so bit of a problem there!

I'd like a couple of minute silence for the loss of two of the Backstreet boys (we had 5 glow light tetras) who have been with us through our new and emotional experiences. Thank you for the timely advice or maybe we'd have lost the whole band. Bless 'em.

Rest are looking okay so far. First indications were the bronze corys who just sort of looked a bit pissed off. Obvious now because they were sitting at the bottom.

Is it likely then that the nitrite levels have been stirred up through the tank by the pretty bubbles? (from the oxygen pump which appeared to have started the whole event?) or were we on a hiding to nothing anyway?

Thanks again peeps - I really appreciate it!

Jane :wub:

jflowers said:
fatguppy said:
Not allowed LOL, family forum.

You are doing the right thing with the water change, make sure you are using dechlorinator and get it to the right temp before adding to the tank. New tank syndrome catches lots of new people out, me included. Cycling should be a patient process and preferably using the fishless method (see pinned topics).

Jon
Sorry Jon - not sure if you were being tongue in cheek with the swearing? If I can't just let me know.

Love the quote by the way from Life of Brian - one of my favourites and gets quoted at inappropriate times in this house whenever possible.

I'll no doubt be back again very soon! Going to do (as advised on one of the pinned topics) very regular water changes dependant on readings until we've cracked this one!

Cheers and a very good night to you all!!! :cool:

Jane

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back