Fish Friends?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BigRed08

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm quite new to all this and want to know would I be able to keep a Siamese fighting fish in my tank.

I've got a 180litre tank with the following fish:

10 Cardinal Tetras
4 Platy
6 Five Banded Barb
1 Bristlenose
2 Armoured catfish(Dianema)

Any help would be greatfully received

Hi
Bettas are best kept alone and in a much smaller tank

im no expert of Siamese fighting fish (Bettas) however i think it will not be ok, i think it will get iys finnage nipped by some of the other fish in the tank. Anybody else know any different?

No, the cardinals will nip or the betta many attack because the cardinal's bright color reminds it of another betta, which they will fight.

The barbs may cause problems, but other than them, the betta and fish should get along. THe main rule with bettas is, if the fish they live with have large fins or are brilliantlly colored, then don't mix them. In addition to that rule of thumb, every fish has a different personality, so it's hard to tell. Trial and error may be appropriate in a case like this. But the barbs again could nip the slow moving betta who has tons of tasty fins.

The fighter would be better off in a tank on his own, they don't need tankmates and will be a lot happier kept on their own.
If you do decide to try it then make sure you do have a tank as back up to put the fighter in to.
As others have said, the Cardinals could be a problem. Five banded Barbs are peaceful fish and not renowned for fin nipping so just keep a close eye.

I recently had a male siamese fighter and 2 mollies in my tank and the siamese fighter chased my male molly around and finally killed him. When I took him out, I noticed his tail fin was seriously nipped. I have returned my betta back to the lfs. I'd suggest you don't keep the betta with other fish and is best kept in a tank of its own.

I had a betta ages ago and i had to get rid of him because i made the newbie mistake of adding 6 neons in the tank and within 10mins there were only 2 left.

I had a betta in my main tank, and he hated it! he never came out of hiding, in the end I rehomed him.

Firstly - thanks for all the replies :good:

Secondly - Maybe I won't acquire one for the main tank.

Thirdly - Could I have some recommendations for any other 'tank friends'?

i just want to say that i have had a male betta in my "semi-aggressive" community tank for almost a year and have had no problems. but anyway, if you want some other colorful fish for your community tank may i suggest some pearl gouramis

A pair of German Blue Rams would probably work well, although being orangish & white it may be more of the same when compared with your 5 banded barbs. A peacock goby might be a nice addition. They have nice coloration and are very peaceful. I'm currently having excellent results with a golden wonder killifish, although I've been told they can eat anything that will fit into their mouths. Mine seems very peaceful and rarely leaves the top section of the tank.

-Darke

Darke, how did u get a killifish. my lfs never has them and i have never seen them in other fs. just wondering

Darke, how did u get a killifish. my lfs never has them and i have never seen them in other fs. just wondering

I know, I had the same problem. I just happened to stop by a local superpetz and there they were, so I just got one. I believe mine is a female as her color is rather drab other than her fins. I believe this is the most common killifish that you would normally find, if you are lucky enough to find any at all. I also managed to get a clown killifish (Pseudepiplatys annulatus ) via mail order from another forum member in the US. They're out there, you just need to make sure your LFS has a good supplier. Segrest Farms (http://www.segrestfarms.com/) is a HUGE supplier of fish, but sadly most LFSes don't know about them, or choose not to use them.

-Darke

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back