Fish Food Decomposition.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Charlie, 

I believe in the initial (or second post) TBA stated he had put in API quick start which is what TTA is referring to :)

TBA: I agree with Charlie, fishless cycle is the way to go. You can grab your Ammonia from Homebase (about £2.50) or get a slightly more expensive version online (search for Dr Tims Ammonia, I think that's the one Charlie will be referring to in his post too!)

I would also recommend getting your own test kit, the API master seems to be a popular one on here (and the one I use!)

If you have any other questions regarding the process then just ask on here, everyone is willing to help!

OS 

orange shark said:
I believe in the initial (or second post) TBA stated he had put in API quick start which is what TTA is referring to
smile.png

Ah, now I see it, never mind, makes for a good topic discussion anyway.

Apologies to TTA and as I said at the end of my last post, if I got the wrong end of the stick and apologised in advance is on that as well.

No harm done. (i hope!)

If you read the API promo on their product they tell you it last in the bottle for a couple of years. One of the best know microbiologist on nitrifying bacteria in aquariums will tell you that unless refrigerated, the useful life is 6 months and refrigerated its about a year. The bacteria will not all be dead at this point but they will be so shut down that the time it takes for them to revive and get back up to strength will not be fast enough to be of any real benefit. using them would be better than using nothing at all, but not much, in terms of the time to complete a cycle.

Initially Tetra Safe Start and Dr Tim's One and Only were the same products. Over the recent past this has apparently changed.

Well guys i have an update for you. I got a test kit yesterday measuring NH3/4, N02, N03, pH, GH and KH. It's strip test and i know you guys are gonna give me grief for this but it's just for a general indication for if things are present.

So i tested yesterday and had 1 mg/l of Ammonia, this is from my fish food that i added Wednesday. My other results are as follows:
Nitrite:1-5 mg/l (wasn't clear which one)
Nitrate:25-50 mg/l (same thing)
pH:7.3
GH:250 mg/l
KH:180 mg/l

I also tested today to see if anything has altered and i was shocked.
Ammonia:0 mg/l
Nitrite:5 mg/l
Nitrate:50 mg/l

So guys, would you say API QS has worked and my cycle is underway or would you say my results are just a fluke?

Any suggestions welcome,
Josh.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back