FISH DYING

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishfinder

Reaction score
AFTER HAVING A WHITE CLOUD THROGH TANK,WE SPOKE TO THE ""EXPERT""AT WYVALE GARDEN CENTRE WHO ADVISED US TO USE FILTER AID- TO POLISH AQUUARIUN WATER TO MAKE IT CLEAR UP.HEY PRESTO AFTER JUST AN HOUR THE WATER WAS INDEED CLEAR BUT ALSO HALF MY FISH WERE DEAD AND THE REST PRETTY LIFELESS.CORRECT DOSING WAS USED,ANYONE ELSE HAD SAME EXPERIENCE.

Never used Filter Aid before but if the water in the tank was white/cloudy it is probably a bacterial bloom which are usually found in new tank setups and are fairly easy to treat.
Anyways, is the "filter aid" still in the tank water? I would go do a 50% water change to try and remove some of it ASAP, followed by a 30% water change every day for about a week after that.
What fish do you have and how many?
Is the tank new and if so how long has it been running for; how long did you wait before adding fish to it?
Do you know the water stats in your water like ammonia/nitrates/nitries?

I agree lots of small water changes cart harm! :D :D

Are your fish gasping at the surface?

If its a bad bacterail bloom it can strip O2 out of the water, and can block and iritate the fishes gills, try desturbing the surface of the water with a air stone or point the filter outlet to the surface.

I've used filter aid before, all it dose is clump the real fine particals together, so your filter medium can do its job, i've had no problems, did its job.

:eek: I agree with water changing, Up to 50% can be changed at one time using water safe a chemical de chlorinator.
Remember fish need new fresh water like you need clean air to breathe.
So treat their water like your air, Renew it and clean it :rolleyes:
Less chemicals the better you are at keeping fish :D
Good luck

fishfinder:

Sorry to hear about your loss. A lot of good advice has already been given.... so all I can say is do a few water changes and the rest of your fish should be happy.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back