Fish dying One by One after 1-2 weeks in community tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

New To The Fishies

Reaction score
Hello. I am new to this forum and to fish keeping and would appreciate some help if that's OK.

We have a 47 ltr tank that we purchased 3 weeks ago. We prepared the water in the Tank for a week before adding fish. Since we added the fish we have lost the following:-

2 x female fighting fish
3 x angel fish
5 x Neon tetra's

A remaining female fighting fish has gone pale and lost all of its colouring so I'm thinking she's on her way out as well.

I visited a local aquarium store with my water and they said that the water was deadly due to limited good bacteria and too much ammonia. They told me not to feed the fish for 3 days which would be tomorrow, and then only feed them every second day.

Also, to add 5ml of Bio Start Beneficial Bacteria daily and a few mls of Concentrated Conditioner per day. I added these to the tank from the minute I got home from the shop and have done so for the past two days.

He also told us that we had too many fish in the tank to start with. I feel awful about this and didn't know that we had too many. Not much advice from the place that we purchased all the fish at once from which is a shame.

I woke this morning to find a female fighting fish gone and my last one (Fishy McFish Face - I've become attached to her -lol) with all of her lovely colour faded so I fed them as I thought she might be hungry. Her colour has come back slightly but she looks a little listless.

We have a couple of neon's left, Fishy MFF, a gourami, an albino shark thingy and 3 guppies.

The aquarium shop is closed today so I can't call them but was wondering if you think there's something else we should be doing so that Fishy MFF doesn't go down the toilet. I seem to be adding all of this stuff but nothing is saving them.

Thanks so much for your help.

:)

well, unfortunately you've done everything wrong from the get go (which happens)...
Your biggest problem is an uncycled tank.
You must first cycle before adding fish.
Read this:
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

Second you've added WAY too many fish and also fish that don't belong together.

If you have any fish left alive you need to rehome them straight away but until you do the only thing that might help is massive water changes.

Please read the cycling article as this will help you understand what's happening.

Please do not listen to what your fish store is telling you as they've already steered you very wrong.
And Please do not buy any more fish!

As of right now you best solution to limit the effects of ammonia is to do more water changes. More often and larger water changes would physically remove the ammonia from the water. You also need to get a test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. In an established tank ammonia and nitrite are typically at 0ppm . So for now test your water daily and if the ammonia and nitrite are high do a water cycle. Eventually bacteria will colonize your tank and the need for daily water changes will end. But that may take a couple of months. Most established aquariums only need one water change a week.

I agree with other members. If the store will take back the remaining fish, do it. Aside from the cycling, there is the tank size. After cycling, then decide on suitable fish. All the fish, except the neons and guppies, are too big for this tank which is only 47 liters (12 gallons). We and other members can suggest suitable fish later, when we know the water parameters of your tap water. Some fish need soft, some moderately hard, so it is better to select suitable fish for your water, as well as the tank size.

And, welcome to TFF. :hi: There are many members with knowledge here, and they are helpful.

Byron.

Thank you so much for all of your prompt replies and for welcoming me into the forum.

I feel so awful for what I have done to these fish. You get attached to the little things pretty quickly too. :(

I'm not able to relocate the remaining fish until the weekend due to work commitments unfortunately. They all looked quite lively this morning and they all got through the night. I'm sure it helped that I fed them after 2 days. Fish McFF has her colour back so I'm hoping that they'll all be OK for a few days until the weekend.

I will do a water change this evening when I get home from work and another on Thursday. I'm not sure what to do about all of the stuff that I was adding that the aquarium shop guy told me to add.

After I re-home my fish, I will cycle my tank as per thrujenseyes advised.

Thank you.

I think it's safe to say, we've all made bad fish decisions.
So, as long as you learn from these and try your best to always research and do the right things going forward, there's no need to beat yourself up.
Give them the best shot with massive water changes until they can be rehomed and or returned.
Once you have an empty (of fish) aquarium, start your cycling.
As mentioned above, may take a while. Patience is key.
Once you're cycled we will need to know you're water parameters like Byron mentioned and then we will be able to help you add the correct fish and numbers!

Thank you so much for all of your prompt replies and for welcoming me into the forum.

I feel so awful for what I have done to these fish. You get attached to the little things pretty quickly too. :(

I'm not able to relocate the remaining fish until the weekend due to work commitments unfortunately. They all looked quite lively this morning and they all got through the night. I'm sure it helped that I fed them after 2 days. Fish McFF has her colour back so I'm hoping that they'll all be OK for a few days until the weekend.

I will do a water change this evening when I get home from work and another on Thursday. I'm not sure what to do about all of the stuff that I was adding that the aquarium shop guy told me to add.

After I re-home my fish, I will cycle my tank as per thrujenseyes advised.

Thank you.

Daily water changes of half the tank volume or a bit more can help keep ammonia and/or nitrite at safer levels, but not guaranteed to solve the problem. On those products from the store, can you list them? Some may help here. Bacterial supplements for example can do no harm and will help, some at least.

Thanks. Jen and Byron.

I received my testing kit in the mail last night and tested the water. The ammonia is now at zero which is great! PH is fine but nitrate high. Will do a half water change tonight as well. Fish look good and are very active which is great. Day by day :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back