Finally decided!

most mbuna tanks in Australia are male only. if people want to breed them, they put them in a single species tank.

I am also working on a Mbuna tank.

The fundamental issue, the aggressive territorial behavior of Mbunas. I don't want what I call a screen saver tank ie: an overstocked stocked tank with few caves for the Mbunas. I find these tanks to be quite depressing, the Mbuna just swim back and forth.

So my approach, cover the entire bottom of the tank with rocks, I just posted my journal Mbuna Condos. I am just getting started.

A suggestion for you, artificially raise the rocks off the bottom of the tank. The mbuna want to dig, let them dig under the rocks. Plus this will reduce the amount of rocks required.

My rule was always one cave per fish, plus 3 empty spots. .... You do rearrange those tanks a lot, especially every single time you move a fish in or out. That's crucial.

That's what I want to do but, I will not be able to rearrange the bottom layer of rocks. This may not be an issue for me as I want to buy all my Mbuna's when I start up the tank. It will have a sump filter ready for a big bio-load.

I want to buy the Mbuna online, just make sense to buy a bunch of juveniles groups of fish, at least 4 per group.

Those p.

They're all gorgeous. I love the p.acei especially. I'm just snooping around your photos and I'm hoping I'll get to see what you've settled on.
Thanks Nina :) painfully close to set up but I can't find the attachment I need for my tap to get the hose from the sink to the tank!
I am also working on a Mbuna tank.

The fundamental issue, the aggressive territorial behavior of Mbunas. I don't want what I call a screen saver tank ie: an overstocked stocked tank with few caves for the Mbunas. I find these tanks to be quite depressing, the Mbuna just swim back and forth.

So my approach, cover the entire bottom of the tank with rocks, I just posted my journal Mbuna Condos. I am just getting started.

A suggestion for you, artificially raise the rocks off the bottom of the tank. The mbuna want to dig, let them dig under the rocks. Plus this will reduce the amount of rocks required.
Thats great I'll check out your journal :) usually the more minimal Malawi tanks are Peacocks and Haps that do come from open water and just spend their lives over sand. But I agree I prefer the Mbuna tanks with more rockwork :)

The tank looks like this at the moment - I have 99% of the parts for the filter just waiting on some suction cups... I swear it would have been cheaper to just buy a new one... Once I've got some water in it first step is adding some terrestrial plants to the back length ahead of seeding my filter with media from other tanks and adding a group of Synodontis Petricola. They will probably have the run of the tank for 2-3 months while the tank matures before adding the first group of mbuna. I can't really do online in the UK like you have in the US but I do have some great places nearby :)

Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 17.25.30.png

Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 17.25.20.png

Wills

I do have some big oak branches that I am tempted to try in here, especially towards the background. I want a LOT of peace lilys growing out the top of here and I am a bit concerned the Mbuna will just eat the roots... I've been trying to come up with a couple of ways to protect the roots without detracting from the minimal look of the tank but it is quite hard to fathom.

Wills

Your tank looks great! I am at least a month away from filling the tank. I still have to reseal it, it developed a leak. I resealed two tanks this summer so I got some experience.

So just Mbunas? No Peacocks? My stocking plan is risky but it should work if I do it right. I will seed it from another tank then heavy dose it with ammonia a few times. I plan on ordering from Tampa Bay Cichlids, free shipping on orders over $125.

Your tank looks great! I am at least a month away from filling the tank. I still have to reseal it, it developed a leak. I resealed two tanks this summer so I got some experience.

So just Mbunas? No Peacocks? My stocking plan is risky but it should work if I do it right. I will seed it from another tank then heavy dose it with ammonia a few times. I plan on ordering from Tampa Bay Cichlids, free shipping on orders over $125.

Yeah I'm sticking to Mbuna - what is your risky plan? I've weighed up a number of mbuna and peacock/hap combos and I just dont think its worth the risk with the different levels of aggression and dietary needs.

Trying to stock a new tank all at once. I would like a couple Peacocks but I fully agree with you with aggression and dietary needs.

QuebecCichlides on YouTube hung some plants (OK, they are plastic) down into the tank. I thought that look cool. But no real plants for me, these guys will just eat them. Maybe mix the roots with plastic plants coming down?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back