filters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

navigator

Reaction score
can anyway suggest when it is recomended to change the filters in a tank, there seems to be many different views from many different people but i am not sure and am sure I am not going along with what my lfs says which is to change them every 2 weeks. please help.

Hi navigator :)

The length of time the filter media will last depends on the type of filter it is, but I don't know of any that only last for 2 weeks. :huh: I think the person who told you that either doesn't know what he is talking about or just wants to sell more of them.

In most cases, replacing the filter media is something you want to avoid whenever possible because this is where a large amount of your beneficial bacteria reside. If you just rinse it out when it begins to get clogged, using water you removed from the tank while cleaning it, (not tap water) the dirt will be removed without any harm to your bacteria.

You can usually reuse them until they literally fall apart. :D

what kind of filter do you have?

I'm going to venture you mean the hanging type, and I'll respond with that in mind. I have a couple tanks with hanging filters and each week when I do a water change, I turn off the filter, remove the cartridge and swoosh it around in the bucket of old tank water. This is to 'get the big stuff off' so that water isn't being backed up in the filter. Anytime your filter overflows where it's not supposed to, this is what I would do. If you find yourself doing this several times a week, you may need a bigger/better filter.

The reason to rinse, not replace, is at least two fold. Of course, this means your not buying a thousand cartridges a year, and also the beneficial bacteria that your tank needs lives in the filter media (as well as substrate, etc). Losing this source all at once isn't the best idea.

Then naturally at some point it will get worn out. At the time it is visually worn out replace it. If your concerned with a mini cycle happening (due to the beneficial bacteria you removed) reduce feeding and unless you have ultra sensitive fish, you should be fine.

There is a thread in the chit chat forum discussing carbon (which is in the filter cartridge). Personally I change it every 6 months. Three are others who believe after two weeks it becomes ineffective and some whom say it leaches contaminants back into the water at some point . It seems many even opt to not use carbon all together. Choice is yours, but honestly, none of the mentioned choices are 'bad' although some may be better than others.

What kind of filter? Hopefully an aquaclear. their media lasts for ever just needs a rinse as stated above. Cartridge filters are too exspensive to maintain. A canister filter costs alot up front but media used just like an aquaclear. You by bags use bulk media, rinse sponges until they fall apart.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back