Filmy White Stuff On Surface Of Water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

guppy2002

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
theres this filmy icky white stuff on the surface of the water of my tank. there isnt a filter. and I know thats why it is there.but what is it? algae?and how do I get rid of it

does it looks like almost a oil? if not a picture would be nice. but if it does thats most likely protien. its really harmless ugly but harmless. the reason you have it as you guessed is becuase you dont have a filter on. to get rid of it all you need is ethier a filter or some way to get the water to move. basically any kind of surface agitation will do. best of luck :)

You can lay paper towels on the surface of the water and let it soak into it. When you remove the paper towel, the film should be gone. Another trick is to use a cup and scoop it up from the surface. Actually, just pressing the cup gently down into the water makes the surface water rush into the cup on its own.

Why don't you have a filter? Are you going to get one? (just curious) :)

Laying paper towels or newspapers flat on the surface can safely remove it

the tank is temporary, so it does not have a filter.L've been skimming the stuff off with a net about once a day. I am glad to hear it is harmless!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back