fighting Dwarf Gouramis?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kingsgal

Reaction score
:(

I am very new to fish keeping. I bought a tank a week ago and didn't really do any research before I started. I listened to the girl at :look: Petsmart. I bought the tank, but only let it cycle for about 24 hours before putting fish in it. (I didn't know) but they have been in there for a week and are doing fine. I got 2 rainbow sharks and 2 albino rainbow sharks. Like I said I didn't know any better. After I got them, I researched them, and found out they usually don't do very well together, but after a couple of days "adjustment" they seen to be getting along fine now.

Today I went and bought 2 Dwarf Gouramis and a Pleco. I did research before I bought these and every where I read said they would do fine with the sharks. This may sound far fetched, but the sharks are not the problem, the gouramis are fighting each other. I sat and watched them fight for a couple of minutes today before I tapped on the glass to make them stop. They are ripping each other's fins up. Not severely, but they are torn nonetheless. All the pages online say they are none aggressive and make good community fish, and get along with the sharks. The sharks are actually steering clear of them because the gourami are a lot bigger than the sharks. (for now) And the pleco is just hanging out sucking on the sides of the tank.

Has anyone here ever had any experience with their D Gouramis fighting?

BTW, I have them all in just a 20 gal tank. For now they have plenty of room as they are all small, but I know that I will have to either give some away soon or buy a much bigger tank. The sharks were my DH's idea. I had already picked out much smaller fish to start with, but well you know how husbands can be when they don't get their way. TIA for any help.

i used to have two dwarf gourmais in my 55 gal tank. I did everything to try to stop aggression. i build caves all around my tank added more fish to try to distract them but nothing worked. I eventually had to return one to the pet store for a credit. About 4 months later the other one i keept died but i don't think i will get gourmais again. i decided eairler this week to start introducing barbs in my tank and arrange a nice school of them for something different and some more activity.

But good luck to you with your gourmais!!!!!!

I had two Dwarf Gouramis in a 20 gallon and one bullied the other. I tried everything, adding plants etc etc, but eventually had to take one to the LFS and give it away. Try taking one back to the store for a refund, or for store credit, and try to take 3 of the sharks back too.

Oh, and I think a Plec should be kept in a bigger tank than a 20 gallon too.

I have two dwarf gouramis in the same tank and they have been getting on fine with each other for the last four months since I bought them, maybe I am just lucky or maybe they fight once I have gone to bed?? ;)

Male dwarf gouramis are known to be aggresive towards each other. The problem is that because the males are more colourful than the female, most people tend to buy just the males. One male/female pair is enough for your tank. Can you exchange one of the males for a female?

Another thing, your rainbow sharks (do you mean red finned sharks?) are also fish that should not be kept together. You either have to have a school of them (about 6) or just the one. Once they mature one will most probably turn aggresive towards the other.

Last of all, your plec at the moment is small but it won't take long before he outgrows your tank.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but unfortunately most fish shop assistants are more interested in making money that giving good advice.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back