Female Cockatoo cichlid with Eye Trouble

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FoundMoney

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I bought a pair of cockatoo cichlids about a week ago. Unfortunately, the male died after a few days. I thought I was going to lose the female too because she was exhibiting the same symptoms - hiding, inactivity, lack of appetite. However over the past few days she seems to have come around, and while still timid she is eating a little bit and I've seen her poop so I know she's getting something. I even saw her take a little swipe at one of my tetras this morning.

However, now that she's swimming around the tank I noticed that one of her eyes is cloudy and bulging a bit. I read the pinned posts on diseases and its possible the fish has either a bacterial or fungal infection. I'm wondering if there is any way to treat this or if I should just see if she can beat it. Since her condition actually seems to be improving my gut instinct is to be conservative about it and wait it out a bit. However, I don't want any infection to spread to my other fish. Furthermore, I don't have a quarantine or hospital tank so I would end up treating all of my fish and I'd also worry about killing off beneficial bacteria in the tank. My lfs mentioned that there are medicated foods that might help, especially if it is fungal or parasitic in nature.

Any suggestions?

Can you post test results in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph as cloudy eye can be associated with poor water quality, if the eye is bulging it's popeye and that can be associated with poor water quality, have to rule this out as popeye can be a symptom of something not right.
http://www.flippersandfins.net/pop-eye.htm

Yes, water quality is good and I have been doing more water changes than usual since the death of the male.

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5
pH 7.0 - 7.2

These are the normal parameters for the tank and have been this way since cycling. However, I did have a pH spike earlier in the week and for some reason it hit 7.6. I couldn't figure that out. Out of the tap my water is around 6.8 but it creeps up in the tank around 7.2. When all the fish are in good condition I do weekly water changes of about 17% (5 gallons out of 30). This keeps the pH fairly constant.

I also gave my filter a thorough cleaning last night so I'm going to recheck my water quality today to ensure I didn't stress the filter with too much cleaning. I usually clean the gravel every 2-3 weeks and its been two weeks since gravel cleaning. I also have "bio-max" in my filter so I'm hoping that harbors enough bacteria to keep everything going well.

The only other problem I had was with the heater. Unfortunately, I unplugged it the other day when I was doing a larger water change and forgot to plug it back in. The tank temperature is usually around 79 but fell to 76 overnight. I realized this the next day and plugged the heater back in. Temperature is now around 76-77 and I am going to raise slowly back up to 78-79.

If your ph changed that was the culprit, you can clear popeye with good water quality keep an eye on the fish, good luck.

Thanks for the tip. I'd rather be as conservative as possible with the fish.

I went to my lfs this afternoon to see if they had any advice and to double check on my water. They checked my water for me and all seemed fine. Unfortunately, the guy I usually deal with wasn't there and I talked to a couple of the younger guys working there. I wasn't all that impressed with the information they had. First of all, one of them tried to sell me pH buffer to raise my pH. When I told him I had South American fish he said that's why I need to raise the pH. I told him I had been working with another guy at the store and we had thought the pH was fine. So when they recommended some medication I was a bit leary.

I told them the symptoms of the fish. I said "one eye looks cloudy and it's bulging out a little." "Oh, the fish has Cloudy Eye." Yeah, alright maybe it is called "Cloudy Eye" but that wasn't really an inspiring diagnosis. When I asked what causes it, both guys said parasites. However, I've read that fish can have cloudy and bulging eyes from bacteria, as well as a kidney infection. In any case, they recommended something called "Quick Cure" from Aquarium Products. The active ingredients are Formalin and Malachite Green. I was reluctant to try this, especially since I'm not sure the problem is parasites. However, I did notice my fish scratching itself against the rocks and plants, but not repeatedly so. I didn't see any signs of parasites but I can't be sure. Has anyone used it before?

I did buy some food that is fortified with vitamins and is supposed to repel parasites. It's called Thera-A and I figured using that couldn't hurt. The cichlid seemed to like it and ate it readily. Anybody have any experience with that?

Cockatoos are sensitive to high nitrates, and (I hear, but have not tried) don't tolerate medications. I was advised to remove them from my tank (or move the ill fish) if I ever needed to use meds. I once had a molly with one bulging eye. Turns out she scratched it on some decoration, and it cleared up on its own. Popeye, from what I understand, is when both eyes are bulging. My daughter's betta also had a bit of a cloudy eye, only one, and it cleared up onits own. I think it's because the temp in the tank (1.5 gallon) dropped that night. I'd say, don't add any meds if you think she's getting better.

I'm not a fan of medication and I'd be worried that the meds would screw up the tank worse than it already is. After all, there are no meds in the fish's natural environment. Hopefully, she'll pull through and she does seem to be getting better.

Just try a few water changes for now if the eye is still bulging in aday or two maybe then medicate, but I would medicate with anti internal bacteria med.

Wilder said:
Just try a few water changes for now if the eye is still bulging in aday or two maybe then medicate, but I would medicate with anti internal bacteria med.
Any recommendations as to brands/types?

Depends on your location, in UK interpet anti internal bacteria, US maracyn 2.

Update: I decided not to medicate the tank and let nature take its course. I'm happy to report the fish seems to be doing well. She is eating and active in the tank and not afraid to chase a tetra if they get in her way.

However, her eye is still cloudy although it seems to be improving but it is hard to tell. I'm hoping she makes a full recovery. If not, I hope the fish can live with any permanent eye damage she may have sustained.

Stress can cause cloudy eye so it might cure on it's own, keep water quality in tip top condition, good luck.

This evening the eye definitely looked better. Pretty soon I'll be trying to find her a mate.

Sorry to hear about your male. Ive read your post when you got them and you were excited. Sucks when fish die. Well I bought 3 cockatoos 1 male and 2 feamle and have the exact conditions you have as water is concerned. Maybe you got a bad pair.. idk my females are wild are their doing fine despite 3 clown loaches and pair of rams.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back