Female black molly

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AmandaHoaglan

Reaction score
Hi I need some insight on this fish I bought on Wednesday March 15, 2017 and wanted to know if she is indeed pregnant. Here is a picture of her from Wednesday the day I bought her and a picture of her yesturday side by side. Left would be the pic. On Wednesday and the one on the right was from yesturday.

Attachments

• 20170320_131907.jpg
    20170320_131907.jpg
    579.3 KB · Views: 391
Do you have a male? Has she been in a tank with a male before? Then she is pregnant for sure ;)

She was in a tank at the pet store with males and females but most where males

Do you have a male? Has she been in a tank with a male before? Then she is pregnant for sure ;)

I bought her from a pet store that had her in with males and I wanna say one other female but most where males

Last edited:
She looks pregnant, but not far along yet to drop fry.

Looks pregnant to me. The fun thing about Mollies is that the females can actually retain sperm from the last mating. Meaning that although she may not be in a tank with other males right now, she can have even more pregnancies from that one mating without the help from a male. Hopefully she doesn't, but don't be surprised if she gets pregnant 3-4 more times! Mollies can easily have 20+ of fry unless its her first pregnancy. These fry will most likely get eaten by the other tank mates including their mother if not separated or given lots of plants and places to hide.

Here is a little picture to help you sex mollies in the future if you want to avoid getting females

d69e771397123fdbb540235deacd7d96.jpg

Looks pregnant to me. The fun thing about Mollies is that the females can actually retain sperm from the last mating. Meaning that although she may not be in a tank with other males right now, she can have even more pregnancies from that one mating without the help from a male. Hopefully she doesn't, but don't be surprised if she gets pregnant 3-4 more times! Mollies can easily have 20+ of fry unless its her first pregnancy. These fry will most likely get eaten by the other tank mates including their mother if not separated or given lots of plants and places to hide.

I have her in a breeder tank which is a three way breeder so I have the seporater in place that has a plant at the top for the fry to swim and hide in at the top then when she is done giving birth to the fry I will move her back into the main tank with the other female Dalmatian molly and females mickey mouse platies.

Here is a little picture to help you sex mollies in the future if you want to avoid getting females

d69e771397123fdbb540235deacd7d96.jpg

I know how to sex the mollies I grew up with a fish tank from my dad he helped me identify male from female I just don't know how to tell if they are with a batch of babies that's all.

I know how to sex the mollies I grew up with a fish tank from my dad he helped me identify male from female I just don't know how to tell if they are with a batch of babies that's all.
Good for you. If you don't have the space for the molly fry you can always raise them till they are large enough to give away, or if you know anyone with fish like oscars/ larger fish that like to be fed live good, they can make a nice snack/feeder fish.

Good for you. If you don't have the space for the molly fry you can always raise them till they are large enough to give away, or if you know anyone with fish like oscars/ larger fish that like to be fed live good, they can make a nice snack/feeder fish.

I plan on giving some away or sell if any one is interested in having any fish. I do plan on keeping one out of the batch. If no one is wanting then I will take them to a place that will take them off my hands I would just need to find a place that will take them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back