Fancy Tail White Molly with "bump" at end of body

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

javajo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello group -

I have a 29 gal. planted community tank.

ph - 6
Amonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - last time I checked it might of been 20-40 ppm
Temp - 72-75 degrees farenheit

I inherited what I believe to be a Fancy Tail White Molly. I've had her for over 6 months now and she's been a very healthy, happy fish. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a reddish circular bump under the skin at the end of her body right before where the tail fin starts. Since then, it's grown in size to about the size of a BB (1/8" circular)

What is this? My wife thinks she's pregnant and this bump is actually the fry. Could she be constipated?

Any help is much appreciated! This is one of our favorite fish!

Thanks!

Its on both sides right? IF so then its the fry inside you'll see she'll look squarish from behind. From what you say it sounds like she will have the fry soon best of luck :D

The fry are kept all the way in back by the tail? - that's odd.

The bump is literally right before the tail fin starts.

Another question. There are no other Mollies in the tank.

There was a sword tail that was showing some interest in her though. Can fish inter-species mate?

Thanks again!

Sorry... I thought you said right in front of the anal fin. In that case no its not fry but instead some kind of infection your fish has. Mollies can store sperm from previous matings (up to about 3 months) but from what you describe it doesn't sound like it is fry unfortunately. You'll need to get some medication for it, not sure exactly what could have caused your fishes illness hopefull someone else can pitch in with a good treatment for sores. Is the bump you say reddish does it look painful for the fish? You could try using a salt bath for the fish in question :thumbs:

The bump does appear reddish. It looks like a round little growth right before her tail fin starts. I've never seen this before.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this is or how to treat it?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

:huh: Sorry but I no advice to cure the fish. It sounds like a growth. None of which are treatable.
Is the colour deep red. If it turns black the fish is uncureable. If it breaks the skin it'll be easyier to tell what it is.

But sorry no treatments, best just to leave the fish to run its course, unless the bump changes then get back to us.

It actually has changed a little. It appears to have grown slightly and is more of an irregular shape. I don't know if this helps but it appears to be right above the lateral line just before where the Caudal Fin starts. It's still reddish and easy to see through my fish's white body. It looks like reddish gelatin matter. It almost looks as if it is breaking through the skin slightly because I can see a tiny white protrusion coming out of the mass but I'm not sure if it's just broken scales. I don't think the mass was ever a true circular shape but it is definitely irregular now. In addition, it can be seen from both sides of her body.

She seems fine from her behavior but I'm just worried!

Any help would be much appreciated - she is one of our favorite fish. One of the members suggested a salt bath but I don't want to traumatize her.

Thanks again!

If you need more information - please let me know.

I forgot to mention:

I try and do water changes every few weeks - I haven't done one in a while - about a month.
Like I said, it's a community tank - Sword Tail, Cory's, cat fish, mostly different varieties of Tetras and a Blue Dwarf Guarami.

I've had this tank since about March of 2002.

Thanks again!

Salt wouldnt do much for the fish. What the fish has is not a comon Illness. I've always had reservations about how much salt accualy does as a treatment anyway.
Do you think it could be fulid, form a tare in the mussle?
THere are no parasites that cause these symptons, so I'm still on the side of an abnormal growth.
Neither of which has real treatments.
As I said your fish could live a happy life.
Have you had this fish since the tank was setup?

Thanks for the replys Davy!

No, I have not had this fish since startup. I inherited her from a friend back in the Summer of 2002. Also - I'm assuming this fish is a female being that my male sword tail was dancing around her a few weeks ago and exhibiting what I think was courting behavior. Kind of bizarre being that they are two different species. I can't be certain if the mass was present when my sword tail was paying attention to her.

Like I said, she seems fine but It's very disturbing to me that I don't know what this mass is.

Thanks again and as always, any help is much appreciated!

Hi Javajo, it sounds like your molly has a fluke. I would first start with the simplest and usually most effective treatment which is aquarium salt. Start out with 1/2 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon. I maintain all of my tanks with at least 1/2 teaspoon of salt and have never had any skin problems in my fish. Try this and I think you will see an improvement in the near future.
fishwife

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back