Fancy guppy and wild guppy behaviour towards fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aniket

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Few days ago i brought some wild guppy in which male,female and small fry were there. When i put them in bag there were 2 fry in it. But when i kept them in 10 gallon pot fry were absent. So i thought they could ate fry but on second day i saw fry. Do wild guppy female keep their fry in mouth?
And on other hand fancy guppy fry gone but havent come back yet.
Fancy guppy and wild guppy were in different pots

You should separate the fry into different tanks. This sounds really sad but, the parents will eat them. Livebearers do that kind of stuff.

Also in the new tank make sure the filter intake is covered with a material that will stop the guppy fry from getting sucked up into the filter, that also could have happened in the other tank.

Guppies do not hold their babies in their mouth. Once the female has given birth, the babies are on their own.

If you have lots of plants in the tank, the babies will have plenty of hiding places and don't normally get eaten by the parents. But if the adult fish are hungry or stressed they might eat the babies.

Any plants (including plastic plants) will work for guppies to hide in but the best plant for livebearers (guppies, mollies, swordtails, platies) is Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta). It is a floating plant with lots of leaves and stems and makes an ideal place for baby fish. You can also plant it in the gravel and it grows into a nice light green shrub.

Guppies are always hungry and will eat anything they can catch and fits in their mouth. It is not uncommon for Guppies to follow a female giving birth and eat the fry as they are born, It is also not uncommon for the female to give birth to a fry then turn around and eat it.

Guppies are always hungry and will eat anything they can catch and fits in their mouth. It is not uncommon for Guppies to follow a female giving birth and eat the fry as they are born, It is also not uncommon for the female to give birth to a fry then turn around and eat it.
I was thought fry were eaten by other guppies when i came back with plastic bag, because fry were absent but next day i saw fry as it were. You may think female could gave birth to new fry. So i kept them as it is for watching other guppies reaction and they were doing fine and not eating fry. I kept fry seperate after two days for feeding smaller food. I was wondered by watching it

Most reactions

trending

Back