Fallen In Love With Tanganyikan

Liking this thread more and more, not sure if Nigripinnis ok in the tank size :unsure: don't know enough about them but I have been told they are very peaceful :good:
Punks or a couple of small Julies would be a good way to go given all that nice rockwork :good:
As for shells if you like I have 12 unused Escargot bubble wrapped and boxed, yours for £5.00 posted to you :good: Give it a think...
Tank looking good, have you decided on a background ?

kiriyama, if my wife has not found any shells today i'll take you up on the offer :good: i'll pm you tonight.

I love the way my brevis swim inbetween the rocks,something very captoivating about.
My danios don't bother dooing this which is to be expected but the brevis where straight in there,
Find it amazing that they knew to do this..

Saw one of these in the sump at my lfs Synodontis multipunctata on sat,been
Doing some reading up and these could be anoption until they grow to big,given
Its in the sunp ill get it for almost nothing.

I'm really torn on what to put in!!

My light isa cooming tomorrow (acradia eco led) so I may stick some plants in
and see if they survive,I suspect the ight will not be up to it though.

Suggestions on backing welcome,I need something,what that is I'm not sure.

personally id leave the catfish out. It will get to big as you said and will eat any eggs etc. With the footprint on the tank id go with your brevis and one rock dweller. Julie/ punk as kiri said.

calvus are known to be very placid and laid back, my 2 are exactly that. I personally don`t see that you would have any worries with them and the shellie, don`t forget that the shellies grow too so won`t always be very small ;)
The calvus do apparently take forever to grow so I`m with bullit on that opinion :good:

you guys are persauding me on the calvus, a5 aquatica have loads in as well................

i've bought two plants tonight, really nice piece of java fern and anubias, post pics tomorrow.

so i've got a julie on order, if i go for one calvus could i fit in one lone brichardi (my lfs also has one of these in the sump and i think it would be free!)

kiri, you have a pm.

I personally would advise against the brichardi after having had one when I first pulled my setup together. I know that fish can be diferent depending on the individual but they are generally aggressive....even if they`re kept singly. Mine was a nasty little #28###, it nipped chunks out of my punks dorsal fins so was promptly returned to the shop :grr:
IF you were looking at a more aggressive setup then I would say you`d probably be ok but with the thoughts you currently have I think the aggression would cause the other fish to suffer un-neccessarily.
Yes they look nice, yes they look pretty/different but it may turn out to be a really bad choice. :unsure:

That`s my two penneth on keeping a brichardi :)

i'll go with forum members advice any day, you are the ones keeping these fish and have the experience with them.

i don't want anything aggressive thats going to turn my tank into a cage fight.

anyway here is a really crap pic of my plants...our internet is on a right go slow so can't even upload images to photobucket!

P2010685.jpg

I saw the calvus at A5 on the sunday. I was tempted myself. On your stocking though i think a julie and a calvus will suit your setup and id also leave the brichardi out. A load of shells and your onto a winner then.

think your right bullit, my juli should be with me in a couple of weeks and i may get a calvus this weekend. i was after a white one but i may get impatient......

i may have to get a few more danios tomorrow, one (i assume male) is bullying the others really bad....he needs putting in his place by the brevis but they don't bother with them.

i also fitted my aqua led light tonight, i got the tropical one and wow...what a brill lighht. #28### all use for plants i feel but the effect is amazing. only wish i had a good camera.. anyway some more pics.

P2020670.jpg

P2020671.jpg

P2020674.jpg

P2020676.jpg

P2020677.jpg

P2020682.jpg

P2020680.jpg

and abit of video

added some vallis, in a plant pot with some ferts to kick start it.

what are you feeding your cichlids?? i have some tetra cichlid sticks, some waffer pellets and also nutrifin max flakes.

my tankgs don't touch the flake and don't really go after tetra sticks? is there an art to feeding them?

also read its good to put iodine in the tank, does anybody else do this, i use tetra water treatment stuff when i do a water change.

P2030683.jpg

I`ve added a bit of vallis to my setup too, same place as yours is :lol: :lol:

I feed my Tangs a mix of frozen brine shrimp in garlic (they all go mad for it) , cyclops (mainly for the cyps) flake and algae wafers. When I feed the flake I tend to swirl my hand in the water to make the flakes sink quickly, the cyps I have shouldn`t be feeding from the surface as it can cause them bloating problems apparently. The multis eat anything and everything. I was feeding bloodworm to them all before my last lot of cyps got poorly but have stopped that now, but the multis really seemed to like it, they love the brine shrimp in garlic ;)

As for the iodine, I can`t give any advice as I`ve never used it in any of my tanks :look:

Sounds good, just PM'd you, I think all tang tanks should have a little bit of green in them, I really am useless at keeping plants. I scrounged a little piece of Java Fern form LFS, I just rip little bits off and have loads of it now in all my tank (all from that one little piece), thank you LFS. Just added some Java Fern, I'll post up later...
Feeding , at the moment
FROZEN .. cyclops, mysis, brine shrimp, artemia, krill, plankton, occassional bloodworm... :good:
FLAKE ... brine shrimp, spirulina, bloodworm (the're not that fussed), Tanganyika flake (all gone :sad: ), tetra pro colour, tetra veg, tetra prima granules , all good...
Get some frozen cyclops or artemia in there and they will go nuts for it :hyper:
:fish:

I`m almost out of the tropical flake I`ve been using and have just bought some of this Tang flake from fleabay. Hope the fish will like it :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back