Embers sick or just depressed?

Yuval5520

Reaction score
I got 9 embers and 1 cherry shrimp who hitchiked (11 gallon cube decently planted)
I have them for about 2 weeks, the first week the would come out when i wasnt at my room but hide when im in the room.
I went on vacation for a week and let my parents feed them.
I think they overfed them because yesterday when i came back they were at another hiding laying on the ground but still moving (hiding place that is not theyre normal hiding place)
i thougt they had swim bladder but now they seem fine but still veryyyyyyyyyyyyyy shy and they hide but barely moving even when not in the room.
should i get a dither fish?
will this be overstocked?
What do they have?

Hello. Tank problems are mostly water problems. This is because water makes up the majority of the system. You have a very small tank and the water in it needs to be removed and replaced a couple of times a week so the fish don't get sick. Fish are very small and have a stomach the size of one of their eyes. So, you really don't need to feed them much and not every day. By feeding just a bit every day or even two, they'll begin to look for food more and do their part to keep the tank clean.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Hello. Tank problems are mostly water problems. This is because water makes up the majority of the system. You have a very small tank and the water in it needs to be removed and replaced a couple of times a week so the fish don't get sick. Fish are very small and have a stomach the size of one of their eyes. So, you really don't need to feed them much and not every day. By feeding just a bit every day or even two, they'll begin to look for food more and do their part to keep the tank clean.

10 Tanks (Now 11)
i did a water change yesterday too...

10 Tanks (Now 11)
again.
My parents fed them
i feed them a bit

should i get a dither fish?
Embers are dither fish ;)

Next time you need someone to feed your fish, get one of those pill boxes with a section for each day, or even use envelopes or tiny zip lock bags, and measure a day's food into each compartment/envelope/bag and hide the food tub. That way there can only add the amount of food you have set out and they can't add any extra. (Maybe even take the food tub away with you so they can't search for it ^_^ )

Embers are dither fish ;)

Next time you need someone to feed your fish, get one of those pill boxes with a section for each day, or even use envelopes or tiny zip lock bags, and measure a day's food into each compartment/envelope/bag and hide the food tub. That way there can only add the amount of food you have set out and they can't add any extra. (Maybe even take the food tub away with you so they can't search for it ^_^ )
But they are veryyyyyyy shy

A photo of the tank would help. Also, can you take water tests, for any of these: pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. And what is the GH (general hardness) of your tap water?

Are you using any additives aside from water conditioner, and which one? Water substances, plant fertilizers, etc.

Be very careful not to overfeed, these are small fish with very minimal needs for food. Shyness is to be expected from small fish in a new environment. A group of 9 is OK, fewer would likely be problematic, and a few more won't hurt, but I'd like to see the tank photo.

A photo of the tank would help. Also, can you take water tests, for any of these: pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. And what is the GH (general hardness) of your tap water?

Are you using any additives aside from water conditioner, and which one? Water substances, plant fertilizers, etc.

Be very careful not to overfeed, these are small fish with very minimal needs for food. Shyness is to be expected from small fish in a new environment. A group of 9 is OK, fewer would likely be problematic, and a few more won't hurt, but I'd like to see the tank photo.
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-22 at 15.43.35.jpg

using test strips is ok?
cause thats the only thing my lfs has
Btw i think my parents overfed them. im fasting them.
Is that alright to fast them?
EDIT: Im using beneficial bacteria

Yes, fasting them for a few days is fine. Fish can be left without food for a week or two while on holiday.
There may possibly be water quality issues from being overfed by your parents - do the strips test for ammonia? Ammonia and nitrite should be zero, and nitrate below 20 ppm. Ember tetras also need soft water, and if your water is hard it will be stressing them.

They also need cover over their heads, ie floating plants. Several years ago I bought some espe's rasboras (a relative of harlequins) and they spent all their time hiding in the corner. Then I read on here about floating plants so I got some. The fish stayed under the plants and as the plants grew and covered more and more of the surface, the fish swam more and more into the tank - but only as far as the edge of the plant cover.
If you get some floaters, you will probably find the embers hiding less. Plants such as red root floater and salvinia at the smaller end, through amazon frogbit and water lettuce to the large water sprite. Even anacharis or hornwort stems left to float would work.

Yes, fasting them for a few days is fine. Fish can be left without food for a week or two while on holiday.
There may possibly be water quality issues from being overfed by your parents - do the strips test for ammonia? Ammonia and nitrite should be zero, and nitrate below 20 ppm. Ember tetras also need soft water, and if your water is hard it will be stressing them.

They also need cover over their heads, ie floating plants. Several years ago I bought some espe's rasboras (a relative of harlequins) and they spent all their time hiding in the corner. Then I read on here about floating plants so I got some. The fish stayed under the plants and as the plants grew and covered more and more of the surface, the fish swam more and more into the tank - but only as far as the edge of the plant cover.
If you get some floaters, you will probably find the embers hiding less. Plants such as red root floater and salvinia at the smaller end, through amazon frogbit and water lettuce to the large water sprite. Even anacharis or hornwort stems left to float would work.
Ok ill try.
thank you very much

Essjays right. Floating plants bring them out. I’ve my first ever embers and they were hiding away at the back of the tank as I hadn’t realised how few floating plants I had left. Throw a few in and they’re now charging around all over the place.

I concur with essjay in all points. Now that I've seen the tank--which is very nice aquascape by the way :good:--floating plants are the issue. Substantial species like Water Sprite, Water Lettuce, or Amazon Frogbit are best here because they not only provide shade from the overhead light (many tropical fish have what one authority termed a light phobia) but their extensive root systems provide shelter and microscopic food.

Try to avoid duckweed if you can. They are like a weed and will quickly overpopulate the tank and you’ll be throwing out handfuls quite frequently. And once established, they are very hard to completely get rid of. Definitely stick to the floating plants Bryon mentioned! ❤️❤️❤️

Getting floating plastic rings though can ensure that there are always openings to direct air and help prevent the floating plants from blocking light to the submerged plants

I concur with essjay in all points. Now that I've seen the tank--which is very nice aquascape by the way :good:--floating plants are the issue. Substantial species like Water Sprite, Water Lettuce, or Amazon Frogbit are best here because they not only provide shade from the overhead light (many tropical fish have what one authority termed a light phobia) but their extensive root systems provide shelter and microscopic food.
Cant i just make the light dimmer all the time...
Im afraid that the floating plants will bring bugs or smth

I'm afraid that wouldn't work, to the fish it would just be the equivalent of a cloud.

So many of the fish we keep come from rivers with overhanging vegetation. They rarely swim in the part of the river without these overhanging trees etc. A fish out in open water is easy prey from birds etc. So fish in a tank with nothing over them are terrified of being eaten, it's instinctive - no cover = no protection.

If you are worried about bugs, see if you can find an on-line store selling in vitro plants, also called tissue culture plants. These have been grown under sterile conditions and do not contain any bugs, or chemicals to kill bugs. I don't know what brands are available where you live but this is the type of thing I mean (this brand does in vitro frogbit, salvinia and red root floater for example)

I think member @connorlindeman has started selling in vitro plants.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back