Electrocuted My Fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nic1

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I changed half my water, turned off the heater as usual whilst it was being drained, filled up the tank again then turned the heater on....
Then disaster, 3 glolights looked like they died in mid swim and floated to the bottom, 1 just wobbled on the spot, the others dashed around, my SAE disappeared and then the platy went into hiding and the fry who were on at the surface in the floating leaves sank.
I turned the heater off although there was no sign that it exploded or anything.

Most of the fish are normal again but the 3 glolights, this was about half an hour ago, will they be ok? will they all be ok?

Ive put them in a net in the tank for now, they are just sitting on the bottom, ones floating at the surface on its side.

Attachments

• IMG_1710.JPG
    IMG_1710.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_1709.JPG
    IMG_1709.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_1707.JPG
    IMG_1707.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 262
Its ok! they are ok!
I think, I just turned off the light and left them, I just released the three glolights and they rejoined the group, they are a bit slow but acting normally now, everyone else is alright but one platy who is still hiding...
So lucky I was watching the tank when they started to drop like flies.

OUCH!

And this is why I try to keep the cord and dial to my heater just above water level....

I use only fully submersible heaters, yet - like Jeremy - never fully submerse them. I've never had a heater malfunction like that, but I'm sure it can happen. IMO, throw it out and buy a new heater, just in case.

I did :) I think the electric in my house is going crazy.... My other half changed the light switches over to brushed metal yesterday and he was playing with the fuse box, this morning I came down stairs at 6 am and the tank light was on? its normally on a timer, which means it could of been  on all night. Today im going to sort it out.

Luckily for fish even though electricty travels well through water they actually recover relatively quickly from electric shock. Its actually how they do fish surveys and remove unwanted fish while leaving desired species alone. They run electrodes in the water in front of a boat and then just scoop up all the stunned fish.
I actually had a malfuntioning filter that had electrofied my shrimp tank, the shrimp showed no signs of distress it was only when I was mucking about in the tank I noticed I was getting low level electric shocks in one hand/ arm that was in the tank. Of course the investigation involved me moving my fingers around in the water to pinpoint the problem since the shock only seemed to be coming when my fingers where in a certain spot in about the middle of the tank but at the water surface.

It actually reminded me of that simpsons episode when homer takes bart fishing on the lake with a toaster! lol,

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back