EI journal

hi smithrc...

this is going to be a real quick post, but will take a proper read later, but I used this link to work out the doseages...

Choose the following options:

KNO3 = Nitrate in Potassium Nitrate
KH2PO4 = Phosphate in KH2PO4

smithrc said:
Right then... Here goes...

I've just tested my Tap water...
PO4 = 2.5ppm
NO3 = 7.5ppm

I'm using Aquatrace 7 fertiliser (rich in iron but no Nitrates and Phosphates)

Its a 100l tank.

I'm not one for water changes and will be planning my dosing around a 3 week 50% change.

So the next thing to do is mix up the solutions...

What have you guys used - Chucks guide dosnt have the same chemical that I have....

Potassium Nitrate
N - 12%
K20 - 46%

Potassium Phosphate
P2O5 - 52%
K20 34%

Are these right? if so what are they on chucks calculator?

If anyone was to come round now - it'd look very dodgy... I'm weighing out white powder on a set of electronic scales!
[snapback]865685[/snapback]​

Haha.......i thought the very same thing as i had my white powder and weighing scales on the kitchen counter, do you get sorted, did you manage to work it out, it is on Chucks calculator but it is a bit confuseing.

didn't get to do it in the end... (see the updates in the Shed thread in DIY shortly!)

The problem I've got is that his calculator is for different substances... with different pertentages of different elements... or am i just missing something?

smithrc said:

PO4 = 2.5ppm
NO3 = 7.5ppm

Its a 100l tank.

I'm not one for water changes and will be planning my dosing around a 3 week 50% change.

What have you guys used - Chucks guide dosnt have the same chemical that I have....

Potassium Nitrate
N - 12%
K20 - 46%

Potassium Phosphate
P2O5 - 52%
K20 34%

If anyone was to come round now - it'd look very dodgy... I'm weighing out white powder on a set of electronic scales!

Hiya smithrc

I think these are chemicals usually used in agriculture, not sure if they could be used in aquariums.

The K2o is Potassium Oxide, the P2o5 is Phosphorus Oxide, so i dont really know if they would be suitable, and if they could i dont know if there is any way of calculating how much you would need to make up a solution or even to dose them dry.

So basically i dont know, you might be better off just getting the KNO3 Potassium Nitrate and PO4 Potassium Phosphate to be absolutly sure.

iggy01 might know if they are suitable so maybe you could give him a pm, but i havent come across anybody useing those particular chemicals and i dont know if there is any way to calculate the correct doseages.

smithrc said:

PO4 = 2.5ppm
NO3 = 7.5ppm

Its a 100l tank.

Potassium Nitrate
N - 12%
K20 - 46%

Potassium Phosphate
P2O5 - 52%
K20 34%

After a bit more dilligent research :D

Ok the Phosphate you have is probably ok to use, i think what you may have is the monobasic formula rather than the dibasic formula of Phosphate or KH2SO4 so this stuff would appear to be correct.

But you will have to check the label, does it say anything like

Phosphorus Pentoxide (p205) p (22.7%)
Soluble in water
Potassium Oxide (k20) 34% (k 28.2%)

?

Not sure of the nitrate im still checking this, but again any more info on the label would be helpful.

Edit: Happy birthday BTW dont read the label after a few beers :D

zig said:

Soluble in water

Not sure of the nitrate im still checking this, but again any more info on the label would be helpful.
[snapback]866707[/snapback]​

Almost exactly what it says...
It reads

Potassium Phosphate

Phosphorus Pentoxide (P2O5) 52% (P 22.7%)
Soluble in water
Potassium Oxide (K2O) 34% (k28.2%)

The other says

Potassium Nitrate
Nitrogen (N) 13%
Potassium Oxide (K20)
Soluble in water 46% (K38.2%)

They are the ones that most of the new EI guys and girls are using - I guess I'm just reading too much detail...

smithrc said:
zig said:

Soluble in water

[snapback]866707[/snapback]​

Almost exactly what it says...
It reads

Potassium Phosphate

Phosphorus Pentoxide (P2O5) 52% (P 22.7%)
Soluble in water
Potassium Oxide (K2O) 34% (k28.2%)

The other says

Potassium Nitrate
Nitrogen (N) 13%
Potassium Oxide (K20)
Soluble in water 46% (K38.2%)

They are the ones that most of the new EI guys and girls are using - I guess I'm just reading too much detail...
[snapback]866812[/snapback]​

Ok then these are both the correct chemicals, ive checked both, and they are both ok, the confusion lies in the po5 and the k20 on the labels, these arent the soluble amounts, anyway it doesnt matter to long and boring to go into here.

So on Chucks calculator for the Phosphate you want to use..."Phosphate in KH2PO4"

For the Nitrate use...."Nitrate in Potassium Nitrate"

Just add your tank volume, the gallons are US gallons, the liters is probably easiest.

If you do the calculations and you want me to double check just post the results here stating your tank volume.

And no, to much detail can be good, you dont want to be doseing something that isnt suitable, anyway all cleared up and you should be ready to go.

OK I'll stop worrying then - Sorry all... I had a horrible feeling we'd all been using the wrong stuff....

Just need to mix it up then...

Later - I'm still working on the shed... honest :)

smithrc said:
OK I'll stop worrying then - Sorry all... I had a horrible feeling we'd all been using the wrong stuff....

[snapback]867030[/snapback]​

phew

so everything is OK then?

I was due for adding macros tonight but my tests show I still have 10ppm NO3 and between 1 and 2ppm PO4. So I havent dosed at all. Is this right :S. Maybe I added too much on sunday?

Ok just for anybody else reading through this thread or coming in late on this and they want to give the EI method a go.

Here are some links where you can get the raw or dry fertilisers and order them online.

If you live in the UK try these links below for the main ingredients

Potassium nitrate KNO3 Link
Potassium phosphate KH2PO4 Link
Potassium sulphate K2SO4 Link

If you live in the US or Canada try HERE , this is an excellent site.

Edit: on the UK links there seems to be a problem of the page not accepting cookies, even though my cookies are enabled, anyway go to the column on the right hand side and look under the section "general garden fertilisers" all of the ingredients are on the second page on that list, for the Potassium sulphate you are looking for sulphate of potash, its the same thing.

If you live anywhere else you also try the US Canada link, although shipping Potassium nitrate KNO3 is problematic and its probably best to try locally to find it, you could try large garden centres or chemical supply companies or you local drugstore or chemist shop.

You dont need very much to get started, 500 grams of each is sufficient and should last a long time, in the case of PO4 or Phosphate 500g will probably last a lifetime as you dont need very much, but it is very cheap anyway as are the rest of the raw materials.

houndour said:
smithrc said:

[snapback]867030[/snapback]​

phew

so everything is OK then?

I was due for adding macros tonight but my tests show I still have 10ppm NO3 and between 1 and 2ppm PO4. So I havent dosed at all. Is this right :S. Maybe I added too much on sunday?
[snapback]867294[/snapback]​

Yeah thats fine dont bother doseing just keep an eye on the nitrate levels in the next day or so, they may need topping up, the nitrates will be used up a lot quicker than the phosphate.

Wow! looks like there's been a bit of confusion over the chemicals.

Smithrc, if you bought the chemicals from Garden Direct, like the ones in the link that Zig posted, you should be ok. There is a lot of confusion over the way they are sometimes branded. I think there are certain regulations that mean the products have to be marked up in a particular way, even if it does confuse the rest of us.

If you have the slightest doubt, email or call the supplier and I'm sure they'll put your mind at rest.

Good luck!

Well done Zig! You did your homework alright! :D

iggy01 said:
Wow! looks like there's been a bit of confusion over the chemicals.

Smithrc, if you bought the chemicals from Garden Direct, like the ones in the link that Zig posted, you should be ok. There is a lot of confusion over the way they are sometimes branded. I think there are certain regulations that mean the products have to be marked up in a particular way, even if it does confuse the rest of us.

If you have the slightest doubt, email or call the supplier and I'm sure they'll put your mind at rest.

Good luck!

Well done Zig! You did your homework alright! :D
[snapback]867417[/snapback]​

Yeah you better believe it, with these guys you got to have your wits about you, throwing curveballs when you least expect it, keeping me on my toes and ruining my sleep :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back