Echinodorus Tank (The End)

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

ian

plant your tank
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
before we get started, this isn't a 'scape' perse, it's more of an experiment/plant species tank. I for one am blown away by the ADA aquajournals and love some of the more simplistic scapes. There was one with just a single species Echinodorus with a glosso carpet, which i loved.

The other reason i wanted to start a Echinodorus tank is because they are under used and understated plants IMO. The tank may turn into a an absolute Echinodorus jungle, but i'm gonna try and keep on top of trimming with the smaller Echinodorus. At present it does look quite low and unfilled, but in a few months it'll be grown up. I have also gone for another try at a small HC carpet. This is the only non echinodorus in the scape. There is only a minimal amount of hard scape in the tank as well as i don't want hardscape as the main feature in the tank. I want the plants to be the feature.

here's a little run down of the plants in there...

4X E. Red Devil
4x E. Magdalen
1x E. Marble Queen
1x E. Ruben
2x E. Quadricostatus
1x E. Tricolour (main feature plant)
HC and Vesicularia dubyana

here's just a quick snap shot of the tank and bare with it, it 'should' look good once grown up and in. The plants still have their emersed leaves.

Echinodorus by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

Keeping tabs on this. I'm an Echi lover, and you'll rapidly see others creeping out the woodwork very soon! Looks very prim and propper, i like it. Will definately be good to see how this fills out. I think your going to lose ALOT of the original idea when these beasts really start to take off :p

hey James, long time no see!

I also think i will loose the original idea also, i have tried my best to mix the smaller E's with the one tank buster lol! I have only ever grown one sword before, so wanted to give these guys a go. Thanks James.

Yeah, its been a while Ian. I've been lurking the forums for a while, had some issues in life and havn't been anywhere near the internet for a long while haha, also been tankless for 4 months....but its currently downstairs all set-up ;) Got the lights hanging on my own DIY bodge job, substrate is all in, rocks in, wood in. Email fired off 1 hour ago with plant order, so watch out for my new planted journal. Hopefully get my crypts going good as they did last time!

I think you've mixed them well, from what i can see. Will be interesting to see how they mature, but i can see it all going HUGE haha, you've got fun on the horizon. Echi's are so darn hard to scape into a tank though. Unless you have a huge space inwhich to use the gigantic frame which alot of Echi's get. I had an Echinodorus Marthii in my Jack tank, it soon became a beast and i failed to tame it :lol: That was just one plant, yet alone a scape of them!

Good luck :hey:

James

I am watching this one closely Ian.

I also am a big fan of echinodorus and think this looks like a great scape - can't wait to see it once it has grown in a bit!

Congrats on a great piece of work!!

Looking forward ro this mate, I used to love swords but haven't been able to use any for a while since none of my tanks are big enough lol, here comes some ammonia ;) I hate sword melt :)

I believe that's dragon stone, can I spy a rock from your 14L in there?

I am watching this one closely Ian.

I also am a big fan of echinodorus and think this looks like a great scape - can't wait to see it once it has grown in a bit!

Congrats on a great piece of work!!

Thanks Ainsy, it will change A LOT by the time it's grwon in.

Looking forward ro this mate, I used to love swords but haven't been able to use any for a while since none of my tanks are big enough lol, here comes some ammonia I hate sword melt

Cheers Steve, Sword melt it worse that crypt melt, it just takes a little loger for swords to melt IME. I should cath em at it! lol

Lovely! For some reason I like the emersed leaf shapes of many Echinodorus better than the submersed forms, but let's see how it turns out. Great rocks by the way! What are they?

Thank you Lu, i agree the emersed leave are nicer than the submerged, but the big one is a Tricoloured sword, so i'm looking forward to seeing it's proper leaves.

and the Steve is correct, the stone is Dragon stone. It's all new stuff, the 14ltr is still housing a million shrimp.

Be prepared for a proper jungle, Ian.

I've grown swords in my day. Tank will be messy for a spell while they convert. They look lovely though.

I shall be on this tank like a...i don't know, something that like to get on things.

I have had some interesting tip from people regarding keeping certain swords low. These tips came from the chaps at Tropica.

I know it's a typo but " the Steve " sounds cool lol

P.S. You rescape more than I do ;)

You are putting some plants that get really big into what looks like a tank that is too small. I tried several swords in my high tech 50 gal before I gave up. I could not keep them contained and after 3 months or so for any of them that were not dwarf varieties. They had to be given away to folks with 6 foot tanks. I think you will have a real jungle in the end and I wish you luck pulling this off. I have a lot of respect for Tropica though and if they say you can pull it off, I would be inclined to accept that.

One other note, I believe its E. Rubin not E. Ruben.

Most reactions

Back