Dying fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I did a mix of half water from old tank and new water

Water is irrelevant; it's the filter media that holds the bacteria that's important. If your QT doesn't have a cycled filter, you're putting the fish through even more stress, on top if the ich, because they'll be having to cope with ammonia and/or nitrite. If you leave them in there, you could well lose the lot :/

The only way you can instantly cycle a QT is to take mature media from the main tank's filter, but that would, of course, invalidate the whole point of the exercise anyway :(

Please, please get the fish back into the main tank, if at possible. I've got my fingers crossed you haven't emptied or cleaned the main tank out yet...

In floating some cycled media in the tank. I also added the bacteria supplement in to help. The main tank was emptied and will begin cycling later when it gets filled again. I’m following instructions from my store and my friend who had the same situation

If you are following the advice of the store and some friend who hasnt got a clue on what they are doing, I hope your fish survive but I doubt they will and without treating the tank the ICH is still there.

Good luck you will need it,

I am treating for ich. The main reason on the QT tank is so I have a smaller area that needs to be treated. 20 Gallon vs 55 Gallon.

Mate; putting them in a smaller, uncycled tank is honestly just about the worst thing you can do for fish already sick with ich.

It might be cheaper to treat, but stress is a huge factor in 99% of fish disease, and this will be hugely stressful for them. Not only are they confined in closer quarters, which will be stressful in itself, you also have the problem that any pollutants will build up more quickly, and you'll be having to do multiple large water changes to keep them down, which will make dosing the medication more complicated.

Please take the advice of the multiple, very knowledgeable, members here that have said the same thing. We only want what's best for your fish.

We may sound rude, but I think I speak for us all when I say we are only trying to help.

You asked for help and we provided suggestion and methods that worked for us. It was honestly pointless to reboot the main tank and to put all your fish in the quarantine tank, especially if it is smaller than the 55gal, the water quality will go bad pretty quick, causing more problems.

Ich is a simple problem to solve, emptying and re-starting an entire tank is a bit over board. Literally all you need is an adjustable heater.

No I wish I listened to all you instead of the guy from the store. All the fish with ich have died during treatment. I wish I wasn’t so thick headed and would have listened to advice. My angel now has fin rot and needs to be treated for that. I have to keep the last 7 fish in my stupid QT tank until the main is fully cycled. I’ve failed my fish.

Before you start "treating" for fin rot or something else, clean water is the best remedy/treatment for a great many problems. Change a majority of the tank water (the tank the angelfish and whatever other fishes are now in), monitor ammonia and nitrite, and change 50% daily if either read above zero.

Never combine medications you buy, there can be interactions (same as with human medicines) and certainly further stress.

Should I continue to treat for ich?

If you have fish alive with ich, probably. But you also have the cycling issue, are you testing for ammonia and nitrite? Water changes will certainly help the latter. I am only trying to steer you onto a better course, as have other members.

No I wish I listened to all you instead of the guy from the store.
These things happen, we were all new at one stage and made the same mistakes.

Are there any fish left?

So what’s the correct time for a QT when I’m getting a new fish. This is for future reference

So what’s the correct time for a QT when I’m getting a new fish. This is for future reference

A period of four weeks absolute minimum, but five to six are better.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back