Dwarf Cichlid Vs Dwarf Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jellychris

Reaction score
Hi,
I want to get a couple small-ish fish that are both pretty and peaceful.
I have read up on dwarf cichlids and dwarf gouramis and found that they both tick both the boxes.
But which should I get..?
Any advice or alternative fish types would be gratefully recieved too.
Thanks!

I really depends on what else you want to keep in the tank, your water parameters, size of the tank, etc. Dwarf Gouramis are great fish if you can get one that's healthy & stays that way. Honey Gouramis are a more hardy choice. I keep a couple of 20 gallons tanks that have Honey Gouramis with Bolivian Rams.

Hello Ruskull,
Hi have a 52 litre tank with only a few guppies and tetra so I'm looking to fill up.
I don't know about the pH or nitatres of the tank but the tank is quite mature and I haven't had any fatalities for ages.
I just can't decide, there have been cases where dwarf gourami males have been aggressive around spawning and a few dwarf cichlids have been a bit angry when crowded so I just don't know which to choose.
Thanks for the advice!:)

P.S
You have a nice tank! :D

Thanks for the compliment Jellychris. :good:

You could put Bolivian Rams with Pearl, Dwarf or Honey Gouramis. If it was my choice I'd get a male & 2 female Pearl Gouramis, and a male 2 female Dwarf Gouramis and a pair of Bolivian Rams for the bottom. It's only eight fish but they would have plenty of space to stake out their own territories. You could substitute the Dwarf G's for Honey's if you prefer. You'd probably still have room for some Corys at the bottom depending on what Tetras you have since some Tetras are very nippy.

I had a pair of DG's and the male bullied female badly and i took her back to my lfs. I bought a pair of german blue rams which are great in my community tank. The male DG was a bully and ruled the roost so he too ended up in my lfs where i bought him. The DG is a lovely fish to look at and very active just too aggresive imo. Have a look at german blue rams, lovely to look at and also a peaceful community fish in my limited experience!

Another thing to think about is where in the tank you want a fish because your dwarf cichlids are going to live on the bottom of the tank and the gouramis are going to live mostly middle/tp but will use the whole tank as well :)

Well.. I *was* going to say get cichlids! The only thing dwarf gouramis are good at doing is dying :rolleyes:

However... most cichlids will nip fins if not outright kill your guppies. It might not even happen right away but there is just a very high risk. Guppies are arrogant, flappy, hyperactive little things. Very much like unmedicated kids with ADHD after being fed on a lot of fizzy drinks, sugar and E numbers and then given a whole load of brightly coloured long floaty ribbons.

Who wouldnt want to snatch the ribbons off the children after they had come rushing past for the tenth time floating them in your face!?

:lol:

Thats how i see guppies... if i was a fish... *i* would eat guppies!! As pretty as they are... they are incredibly irritating to other fish, therefor fish that are even remotely likely to take a nip or have a short temper shouldnt really be housed with guppies. Its tempting fate and sooner or later.. the cichlids will get hacked off with the guppies.

That aside, i have found dwarf gouramis often have a good nip at the male guppies too!

Honey gouramis would be really great! If you *do* want to push the cichlid angle... stick with something really laid back like Bolivian Rams, Laetacara curviceps or the Thomasi butterfly cichlid. Personally i would avoid the normal 'blue, german blue or gold' rams and definately avoid kribensis!

Hahaha :lol: lol
I see your point and thanks for the tips, I read up on Kribs on the internet and apparantly they are calm, where did you get that info? Also I didn't know that dwarf gourami are flimsy and sh*# everywhere, is that from experience or a secondry source?
Thanks everyone! :rolleyes:

Kribensis are a PITA and believe me... one of my favourite fish, i love them and have kept them in numerous variations. One of the few species where i actually love the albinos too lol.

They keep getting sold to people with community tanks and we keep seeing people complaining because they terrorize tanks. They arent nasty in themselves, they are just inredibly territorial, they will choose a nesting sight and guard about a 30cm length space and everthing above and side to side. They will terrorize fish wanting to go near, attack and possibly kill fish stupid enough not to take a hint... now imagine they decide their territory is bang in the middle of the tank?

And just about everyone knows Dwarf Gouramis are flimsy in terms of health... they are so prone to viruses and so on that its even referred to as 'dwarf gourami disease'!

Personally, I have kept both species at home but i work in the aquatics trade so see both species constantly and know how they behave in others tanks too. Dwarf gouramis are one of those fish that we would *never* stock if it wasnt for the constant demand... if we dont have them... we lose customers...

A 52 litre tank isn't going to be big enough for Bolivian Rams, or Thomasi, or Laetacara. Especially when going in with other fish.

A group of Honey Gourami's would be the best choice imo. Some of the colours are great nowadays. Very intense indeed.

Kribs are certainly not calm, lol.

I completely forgot the size of the tank :unsure:

Yeah... cichlids are just a bad idea in such a small tank!

Thanks so much everyone I think dwarf gouramis sound more suitable for my community tank if dwarf cichlids are aggressive and terretorial.
You guys have given me advice that I never could have got on the internet or in books thanks! :D
Are there any other fish that are of similar-ish size and are peacful, and preferably more hardy? Cheers! :good:

A single male & 2 female Honey Gouramis would be a great fit. Dwarf Gouramis are somewhat larger & they are much less hardy than Honeys...........

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back