FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kazzaye

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi fish lovers
I have a snail problem.
I'm thinking of buying 3 chain loaches.
Are they compatible with 2 Angel fish and 12 cardinal tetras I have in my Aqua style 620 tank? That's a 90 litre tank
Thankyou

hi fish lovers
I have a snail problem.
I'm thinking of buying 3 chain loaches.
Are they compatible with 2 Angel fish and 12 cardinal tetras I have in my Aqua style 620 tank? That's a 90 litre tank
Thankyou
Yes, but first of all, your tank is waayyyy too small for angelfish, which will eventually get very big and eat your cardinal tetras, so I recommend at least a 210L aquarium for your angelfish, and then no tetras (maybe a larger characin species), and have the loaches but you will want to get sand substrate, and get at least 5.

I have a 215 litre tank which has no fish but snails as well. I can transfer the Angel fish to it . Should I buy 4 to 5 loaches for each tank?

buy 5 loaches and put them in one tank for a month, then move them into the other tank for a month, then move them back for a month, etc.

As others have said you need at least 5. I would not put these with angels as they almost certainly won't be able to resist their fins.
I do keep dwarf chain loach and they really are a delight. But be aware that they are not particularly effective at clearing snails so if that is your main reason for buying them don't.

Seangee has made valid points. I have had a group of dwarf chain loaches for I guess 8 years now, I have five which is the absolute minimum. They need a 36-inch (90 cm) length tank minimum. They need lots of chunks of wood for their individual home (they like to select their own space) and for play, which as seangee said is a delight to observe. They are not effective at snail control. They are very active, generally, so this can be problematical with sedate upper fish like angelfish. Cories would be better substrate fish, as while they are somewhat active, it is generally confined to the substrate level and it is not as rapid swimming activity as with loaches.

To some general comments. Acquiring fish to solve a problem is never wise. It is fine if you really want the fish as fish in their own right (meaning, not to deal with something), and can provide the basic requirements (all what I listed above) for that species. If they then help with something like algae or snails, fine; but acquiring a fish to deal with a problem is always risky, and frequently does not work anyway.

Second general comment...what is the "snail problem?" If you mean the small snails that often arrive on plants or wood, such as pond or bladder snails, or Malaysian Livebearing Snails, these are not a "problem" at all. They are extremely beneficial, as they can get places to eat all organics (such as fish excrement), breaking it down faster for the bacteria, and the result is a healthier biological system. "Too many" is open to interpretation as some believe a handful are "too many." But remember that these snails will only multiply to the numbers for which food is available. This does not always mean you may be overfeeding, but that is certainly one cause. But just normally with minimal feeding there is a considerable amount of organics (dead and dying matter) in any aquarium with even a few fish, so again this is normal and natural and unavoidable. Consider the snails as you best helpers in keeping the aquarium healthy.

Another issue...moving fish from tank to tank. This is generally not wise. It is the severest form of stress a fish undergoes, as the netting of a fish evokes the "escape a dangerous predator" response in the fish's metabolism. Sometimes it is necessary, but not all fish can "shrug it off" as well as others. And loaches are especially stressed by this. It can take weeks for a group of loaches to settle back to normal after having their environment changed. Not something to do without very good and necessary reason.

Last edited:
I agree with not moving them around. My 6 go into hiding for a day or two if I rearrange the tank and then spend a couple of weeks bickering over who is going to claim which space. This occasionally results in injury to the other fish. Nothing serious and no aggressive intent but they definitely are unsettled by even small changes to the habitat.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back