Driftwood?

Ok, thanks you! I’m still trying to decide which way I want it in the tank. It is definitely going to have some parts of the piece sticking out of the water. Would it be possible at some point to grow terrestrial plans on the out jut? (If I water/spray them occasionally)

Yes this is a possibility (terrestrial plants that do not need a "substrate" but don't ask me which as I don't know offhand) but that means no cover on the tank. Fish will jump, they get startled during the night. Also the evaporation of so much water into the walls/ceiling is not good, nor is the dust collecting on the surface. Then there is the issue of faster-cooling water (or harder working heater) with no cover. It certainly can be done (open top tanks) but it takes some thought and dealing with issues.

Last edited:
Getting the wood ready is a bit of work. Frankly, nowadays with so much pollution, I'd be hesitant to produce my own, but I've done it with cypress knees (still have 'em after decades) collected when the world was cleaner. First, boil them, then soak them in water with a tiny amount of PURE chlorine bleach (which disappears when you take the wood out to dry it). You have to soak, scrub, rinse, dry & re-soak until the wood won't float. That's how it's done. But as I said, it strikes me as being too dangerous nowadays.

I like the lovely, peaty color the cypress still adds to the water, because I want natural tanks ~ tanks that make me feel like I'm looking directly into the wild fish habitats of Borneo or the Amazon ~ but some people hate it.

Yes this is a possibility (terrestrial plants that do not need a "substrate" but don't ask me which as I don't know offhand) but that means no cover on the tank. Fish will jump, they get startled during the night. Also the evaporation of so much water into the walls/ceiling is not good, nor is the dust collecting on the surface. Then there is the issue of faster-cooling water (or harder working heater) with no cover. It certainly can be done (open top tanks) but it takes some thought and dealing with issues.
Oh, Yeesh. I’ve had my 10g and my 29g without a lid for as long as I can remember...

I do notice the evaporation is greater in open tanks than in non open tanks. Thanks. ;)

It is definitely going to have some parts of the piece sticking out of the water. Would it be possible at some point to grow terrestrial plans on the out jut? (If I water/spray them occasionally)
Living air plants (Tillandsia sp) and some of the epiphytic plants like orchids, bromeliads and ferns can' all grow on branches above the aquarium. Tie them on with some string or fishing line and spray them with water once or twice a day.

Thanks guys!

eh....problem. When I put the pice of wood in the tank....it didn’t sink. I really expected it to sink right away, because it came from my LFS. Is this normal for it to not sink right away? It’s been floating in my tank all night.

As you can see, it will look super good once it sinks.
image.jpg

I also took the java moss out of the bag and floated it nestled between some Anacharis. Just for the time being. Once the piece of driftwood sinks, I’ll tie all of it to the wood.

So what do you guys say? On the questions above?

All the wood I've ever bought from an LFS has floated. I just leave it soaking in a bucket of water. Some wood sinks in a few days, one piece took 3 weeks :blink:

Ok, thanks! I guess I just assumed that it would sink automatically because I bought it from my LFS and that it was heavy. I'll keep you guys posted when it sinks. ;)

It will begin attaching itself like any moss.

Most reactions

Back