Dracaena Variegatus Is This A Legit Aquarium Plant?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

GDM9

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I have seen some conflicting stories on the web regarding Dracaena Variegatus. Some sites are reporting this as a potted plant that will rot in your aquarium while other sites are describing it as a good plant for beginner aquariums. I can't believe both opinions to be correct. Can anyone help me out with this question ( I would hate to think all my cyclng troubles have stemmed from an improper plant slowing dying and poisoning the water). If this is indeed not a proper aquarium plant then shame on Petco.

Hello folks,

I have seen some conflicting stories on the web regarding Dracaena Variegatus. Some sites are reporting this as a potted plant that will rot in your aquarium while other sites are describing it as a good plant for beginner aquariums. I can't believe both opinions to be correct. Can anyone help me out with this question ( I would hate to think all my cyclng troubles have stemmed from an improper plant slowing dying and poisoning the water). If this is indeed not a proper aquarium plant then shame on Petco.

It is not a proper aquatic plant. The Baensch Atlas, Peter Hiscock's book on Aquarium plants, and most legitimate sources will say that it is a terrestrial plant. The Dracaena growing quite happily in my Miami, FL garden also lend credence to that assertion. It is not an aquatic plant.

llj

Bummer, oh well into the trash with it then $7.00 down the drain. Hmm, well I don't think I will be buying anymore plants from petco.

You paid $7 for a dracaena? Not only were you sold a terrestrial plant ans an aquatic, but were ripped off on the price as well. Even in my LFS (who like many others sell them as aquatics, despite them not been) they are only about 70-80p (about $1.50), including for the ones in their house plant section.... lol

Ade

Put the plant in a pot with some potting mix and stick it on the window sill :)

A good way to see if you are buying a true aquatic plant is to see if the plant can support its own weight when removed from the water. If it can't then it is most likely a true aquatic. If the plant stands up nice and tall then it is a marsh plant.
There are a couple of exceptions to this rule and they include the Hygrophillas, crypts & swordplants. These can be grown in a marsh set up or completely underwater.

Most reactions

Back