Done with neon tetras, can you recommend other tankmates?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Pictures of the small plant, I have no idea what it is, of someone can help identify it, I'd appreciate it

Those are Ceratopteris plants, commonly called Water Sprite. There are if memory serves me five species, three are more common in aquaria. But they are all in the same genus, Ceratoperis. Grown rooted in the substrate they will need good lighting; they can be floated (C. cornuta is the bet species for this) and are remarkable water "purifiers".

The shape of the fronds (leaves) vary, even with a species, which is why it is difficult to determine the exact species here. As a guess, I would think this is the C. cornuta. The following is from my profile of this species.

Discussion

This is probably the easiest aquarium plant to grow, at least when left floating, and because of its rapid growth it quickly assimilates nutrients including ammonia/ammonium and is therefore quite useful in new tanks. It assimilates nutrients primarily through the leaves rather than the roots.

The leaves, or more correctly fronds, since this is a true fern, can be somewhat variable in shape due to light, nutrients and water parameters. This makes identification of this species difficult, and it is often encountered in the literature under the names Ceratopteris pteridioides and C. thalictroides, although both these are now accepted distinct species. C. pteridioides has blunt-lobed fronds (leaves), while C. thalictroides has fronds that are deeply pinate with tips more slender than the subject species. There is some uncertainty over the taxonomy and distribution of Ceratopteris thalictroides and C. cornuta with some botanists considering these as one single species. There are currently (2018) five recognized distinct species in the genus Ceratopteris.

Daughter plants are readily produced from the sporangia on the older and alternate fronds. When left floating, the fronds may extend up to 50 cm (20 inches) across, and will block light from entering the aquarium; this is particularly useful to provide a darker environment such as for spawning fish. In such conditions, suitable substrate plants are any of the Cryptocoryne species, Java Moss, etc. depending upon the amount of light getting through. Otherwise, the daughter plants can be separated and used as individual plants and the parent plant discarded in order to keep the water surface more open.

The dangling roots of floating Ceratopteris provide admirable shelter for fry, and are used by the anabantids that build bubblenests. Many fish including anabantids, characins, etc., will regularly browse the roots for particles of food.

Formerly there were five species recognized [some authorities only recognized four] in the genus Ceratopteris that was placed in the monogeneric family Parkeriaceae, thought to be unique because of its aquatic adaptations. Subsequent genetic analysis has shown the Ceratopteris species to be clearly allied with those in the genus Acrostichum, and Ceratopteridaceae is the family name for the clade that is now known to include these two genera. Some authorities place these two genera within the Pteridaceae family.

At the time of writing (revised, 2018) there are five species recognized as accepted by The Plant List: Ceratopteris cornuta, C. pteridoides, C. richardii, C. succulenta, and C. thalictroides. Six other species names are synonymous with one of these, and there are three unresolved species names.

This is probably the easiest aquarium plant to grow, at least when left floating, and because of its rapid growth it quickly assimilates nutrients including ammonia/ammonium and is therefore quite useful in new tanks
Thank you very much

I guess I should uproot it, or at least a couple fronds. These have grown painfully slow until now, a good 2 months, and I don't see any propagation happening.

Thank you very much

I guess I should uproot it, or at least a couple fronds. These have grown painfully slow until now, a good 2 months, and I don't see any propagation happening.

I would uproot one of them, and let it float. If it grows better than the one(s) left rooted, then floating would be preferable to make full use of this plants benefits.

Hi everyone, I've got pics of these fish i like, but I don't know the name. The pet store's fish area employee was on break and the tags/labels didn't help much.

Attachments

• 20220427_121951.jpg
    20220427_121951.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220427_121743.jpg
    20220427_121743.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220427_121700.jpg
    20220427_121700.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 37
The circled fish in the first and third photos look like the green variant of tiger barbs. The third photo also has natural (orange with black stripes) and albino (pale orange, white stripes) variants of tiger barbs. Tiger barbs are one of the nippiest fish fish in the hobby and are not community tank fish because of this. You will read that with a large shoal they keep their nippiness within the group but many people have found to their cost that they don't.

The fish in the middle photo (with the blue background) are cherry barbs. These are much more peaceful fish, I have some with pearl gouramis and the gouramis haven't been nipped at all.

If I can believe the internet there is a "5 banded barb" that look the same as the tiger but is not nippy? Dunno how we tell them apart?:(

In this instance, the fact that the normal tigers are in with green and albino tigers strongly suggests they are tigers.

To compare the two barbs, count the black stripes. Tigers have one through the eye, one at the base of the tail and two between them. Their latin name is Puntigrus tetrazona, with tetra meaning four.

Five band barbs have 5 black stripes. Latin name Desmopuntius pentazona, with penta meaning five.
Seriously Fish does comment that most of the fish sold as 5 band barbs are actually the closely related D. hexazona which has 6 bands (hexa meaning six)

So if the fish has 4 bands, it's a tiger; if it has 5, or more likely 6, it's a 6 band sold as a 5 band.

Thank you all. I still can't find ottos, nobody around seems to have any. Poor guy all alone in the tank, at least he gets along well with the cory gang.

I guess cherry barbs it is. I'll be changing the tank stand soon, I'll wait until that is done to the cherries. Too bad the tiger barbs are nippy, love their color and how they shoal. Oh well.

I think my last addition after the cherries and the ottos will be a couple of shrimp.

Then again, this weekend I'm getting a 50g tank, but moving everything from the 29g will have to wait until I decide on the theme/aquascape, building or getting a stand for it, and all that jazz. Fun times ahead this summer!

Keep in mind the4 tank size here...a common 29g is a nice size, but it is only 30 inches/75cm in length, which is important when you are considering active swimmers like most of the barbs. And any barb, as with any tetra, rasbora or danio, will need a group of around 10 or more because they are shoaling fish.

Almost got cherry barbs today. Almost. Then I reconsidered and decided to wait until the new, larger tank is set up and running, and get them there instead. Just renewed lease at this place for another year, so, no need to rush. I'm undecided as to what to do with this 29g once the larger is done. I'm not planning on staying at this place more than another year, and having 3 running tanks to move doesn't sound like fun.

Most reactions

Back