Dogfish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Rdelusion

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hopefully one of you can help me with this but me and my fiance were looking at fish awhile back and we came across a fish that she really liked. The LFS had it labelled as a 'Dogfish' although when I look or ask about a fish called this no-one seems to know what I'm talking about :/

I think it may have been some form of catfish, it lay on the bottom but it's face definately resembled that of a dog.......

I've never been able to find this fish again anywhere and I was wondering if any of you fish guru's out there might have an idea of what it was I was looking at?!?!

the only dogfish iI know of is a member of the shark family and is a s/w fish
there is a woflfish maybe that is what you saw?

What exactly did it look like? There are freshwater dogfish. The one I'm thinking about has a long dorsal fin that sort of "flows," kind of like the fin on a knife fish and its tailfin is rounded.

Does this match up?

There is something called a Dog Charican, also called a freshwater barracuda.
Maybe you try asking the lfs about it, or drawing a picture (that always helps me :D )?

This is a Bowfin, but widely known as a freshwater dogfish. I've caught quite a few in my time.

Bowfin.JPG

Thx a lot for the input guys!

I'm defo not thinking about puffers although now you come to mention it their faces do look a little like dogs :D

Never2BKnown I'm assuming that you are meaning the same fish as Birchkeeper and if so I don't think this is it either :(

I know I'm not helping much but I can't really describe it more (although I know I've not described it al all) as it was about 9 years ago I saw it and it's sort of faded into legend now :/

Starting to think I imagined it now!!

It was about 4" long ans I suppose it 'might' have been the freshwater dogfish but it face was really really resembeled a dogs - more so than the picture above and would it be in a LFS?

Most reactions

Back