Do Pet Stores Take In Unwanted Fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

-Jo-

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 3 red eyed tetras that I need to re-home. At the moment they are living with 4 Kuhli Loaches and 5 Glowlight tetras. I am soon wanting to add a betta. The red eyed tetras I got for free as they swam into the khuli bag - but they are quite boisterous and fin nippers. They havent nipped the glowlights, but they chase them around. They tend to fin nip each other rather then the other species. Threy definitly wont be suitable with a Betta.

Is it common for pet stores/aquatic stores to take in unwanted fish? I got these tetras from pets at home.

Thanks for your help.

P@H dont normally take fish back, but ALL Maidenhead Aquatic shops will happily rehome them for you.

I live in Devon the UK. theres a few aquatic stores around me that I will have to try. Really have no idea what to do with them if they dont want to take them off my hands.

Normally they take them in, especially if they sell the species yourself. If you have a good relationship with a certain lfs, they might even give you credit for them, or allow you to exchange them for another fish.

Almost all tetras are nippers; the way you can avoid this, is to make sure they are in numbers of at least 6. I had red eyes before with a betta (in a 180 litre tank) and never had problems.

Yer, Red Eyes are one Tetra which are actually quite good at keeping aggression focused on one another.

They do tend to just focus on each other and chase each other around. I do like them, and it will be a shame to get rid of them, but I dont want to risk it if im getting a betta. If there were more of them, would they calm down?

The more you have, the less nippy they're likely to be, but I rarely think bettas and tetras make a good combination.

Most shops take them off people though, go through the phone book and check.

I have sent an email out to ther closest aquatic store near me - so hopefully they will reply soon.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back