Do gouramis interbreed btw their subspecies?

shaheen84

Reaction score
Anybody out there who know if gouramis interbreed among their species? E.g. pearl gouramis with, say, :rolleyes: blue or platinum gouramis? Coz i have 2 pearl gouramis ..both female..and there's no male pearl's in my lfs...only blue and platinum gouramis. My fish seem bored and lonely..thought that they might want some male company.. :whistle:

Reply soon! :kana:

Pearl and Blue Gouramis are different species, so they shouldn't be able to breed together, and if they would, the fry would be "sterile", not able to breed themselves (but I've never heard of that happening). But different color varieties of the same species can breed together, like the different types of Dwarf Gouramis (Neon, Flame, etc.)

shaheen84 said:
... My fish seem bored and lonely..thought that they might want some male company.. :whistle:
Hi shaheen84 :)

Don't worry about your pearl gouramis being lonely. They are enjoying a calm and peaceful life without having to put up with a male who would almost certainly treat them aggressively. ;)

Thanks Sinuhe and Inchworm! :)

However, I went out and got myself a few tiger barbs and a pair of blue johanni cichlids just now..so while i was at it i got myself a handsome male blue gourami.. When i introduced him to my tank my pearl gouramis (who look like they've been stoning for the last few WEEKS) suddenly perked up and began swimming excitedly around him. :wub: Guess they'll be disappointed that they won't be able to have his babies..i think :look:
Whatever it is i'm really happy they're more interACTIVE now! :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back