Diy Tank Stand Project For A 46 Gallon.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

l_l_l

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi there!
I have been given a free 46 gallon Tank a few weeks ago and it's been sitting in my living room for a while already..
I was waiting for an actual stand and decided I'd do my own.

This is what I've done so far..

oaPCDkb.jpg

Those two squares will be the top and bottom of the stand, I'll be covering the top with a nice large wood panel, then under the aquarium I'll cut some kind of foam so it levels nicely..

I'm super scared of this because I know it has to be level and I haven't done much woodworking.. Well, maybe enough to build this stand.

I take special care in the tank stand to be super sturdy you can see in my work :)

I'm missing the legs which will be big 4x4 beams about 2 foot high and I'll put the in the corners obviously, then cover it around with other 2x4s.
I'll then finish all with wood glue, just because I want to make sure it's super uber sturdy, then cover the entire thing with laminated wood or something.. I'll leave a gap on the front and either put doors or a nice looking tissue so I can hide things in there...

More coming!

Cheers!

This is what I have done so far:

7kJHI.png

Waiting on glue to dry, then going to screw more screws and put in some metal support in the angles.

Looks good. 
smile.png

Are you planning to fit a shelf and doors on the front of this for putting your bits and pieces of tank equipment away out of sight?

What size of tank is going on this out of interest?

And is your flooring strong enough for combined weight of tank and this stand?
Just that the stand look fairly big for a big tank, always best to be sure before too late 
smile.png

Bet will look good when you've completed it to your satisfaction.
wink.png

I am planning to fit doors and a bottom shelf once it's completed :)
Size of tank is 46Gallon so it should not be a problem, it would weight a 400 "paranoid" pounds...
If my girlfriend, me, the dog and the couch were able to fit there, I think this tank wont be an issue for the floor ;) but yeah, I was worried as well before building this because at the begining , I thought I had a 56G. I was really happy to find out it was a 46.

All sounds good.

I should have figured tank size from title of this thread 
rolleyes.gif

Keep posting these pics and updates, I like these kind of threads 
smile.png

Hi hi!
Update:
The glue has settled everywhere and I screwed everything in place.

First: I screw the legs in place, for extra solidity.
Second: I add support around the legs, I do so with 2x4s I cut to the desired lenght:
SyEGg.png

Then: I screw the top part and add an anti slip-anti spill mat under the tank.
Cut it to desired shape...

q09Ww.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
  • Essjay

Members online

Back