Discus Shedding Its Slim Coat

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shaz-killie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
as above, one of the discus wasn't looking too happy so decided to do a 70% water change (the second water change of the day) on the first change I did rinse my internal filter sponges in the tank water removed.

but after doing the second change 2 of the discus completely shed there slim coat (one was the one that didn't look to good)

they are all swimming around happy and eating but is this something to be concerned about?

Shedding of the slime coat usualy indicates something is irritating their skin, from water quality issues to parasites...

Are you seeing any flicking/rubbing?

What water conditioner (if any) are you using?

All the best
Rabbut

the only flicking and rubbing has occured as they were shedding it, nothing before or after. not using any water conditioner at the moment.

water has remained constant at ph 6.6, ammonia 0, nitirite 0, nitrate 5

My gut feeling then would be that there was something in the water you used for the water change, that's upset them. Condtioner isn't often neeed in a mature tank, I don't use it now, but in your case, it may be an idea to pick one up and start using it :nod: API Tap Water Conditioner is what I would use if I needed conditioner again ;)

All the best
Rabbut

might be a possibility as my 1yr old daughter decided to help with the first water change, i'll do another 70% after dinner and see if that makes a difference. they do seem alot more active since the second change so will do another in a couple of hours.

as for the water conditioner I also used to use it, then got lazy and never replaced.

the main one that wasn't looking happy is still stuffing his face with food and chasing everyone so he can't be that bad lol

I presume you wormed and fluked them on purchase? If not, it may be an idea to get a Flubendazole or Metrodanizole based medication in there to start, after adding in some water conditioner doesn't help... I don't suppose you have access to a microscope for a skin scrape test do you?

All the best
Rabbut

this is where the stupidity comes in no I didn't as I went buying discus without doing proper research and had never treated my fish before hand. no sorry don't have access to that.

I'll get the above tomorrow

dont mean to butt in but arent u supposed to use condtioner after every water change to kill of chlorine and other nasties like that ????

eh well tech yes, and on and off I was using tap safe but when I was doing two 70% changes a day and the levels seemed to be fine I didn't

thats where the problem may lie doing a 70% water change without using dechlor theres nothing to kill of the chlorine i wouldnt dream of doin even a 10% water change without using dechlor mainly tetra aqua safe or seachem prime... try using dechlor when doing a nice big water change and there might be a difference

I use a drain and fill kit to siphon and fill my tank. After I empty the tank I will drop in my dechlorinator and direct the incoming water away from the fish. Occasionally you will see a Discus or two loose a little bit of slime coat. I think this is caused by the chlorine.

Test the PH of your water straight from the tap and seperatly test the PH of your tank, It sounds like you are going straight from the faucet into the tank. If your ph fluctuates that will also irritate the fish. That is why you are supposed to age your water in buckets overnight before doing a water change.

thanks guys,, I'll pop down to the local shop and get some water conditioner and order a bulk load online. and yes jim there is a big difference in ph. so water conditioner and some of that stuff rab suggested on the shopping list today

Most reactions

trending

Back