Discus : Red Nostrils 🛑

Chimchim

Reaction score
5074E103-A29B-4382-BC5D-9FCA23D04073.jpeg
73149BF1-F372-4CD0-AFDD-03F8EDAD74E6.jpeg
Hello, My discus has redness in the nostril area for the past few days. What should I do? Should I quarantine it?

Here is my aquarium water test results :

Tds : around 150
Nitrate : 10~25
Nitrite : 0.5
Gh : 4~8
Kh: 0
Ph: lower than 6.4
CL : 0
Water system: Reverse osmosis (RO)

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The fish has an infection. If it's in the sinus area, it is possibly from a virus, bacteria or protozoan infection. You can usually clear these problems up with big daily water changes and gravel cleaning the substrate every day for a week, and cleaning the filter. You can also add some salt.

--------------------
SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt) or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria, fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

@Colin_T
Thank you so much for your detailed response 🙏🏻
It’s been 4 days that I've been regularly cleaning the aquarium water and its equipment.

But For the “Salt” solution, do I need to remove these media before adding the salt?
-Denitrate (Seachem)
-Purigen (Seachem)
-Matrix (Seachem)
-Zeolite (Seachem)

My fish tank capacity is around 80 L :

IMG_9253.JPG

Also, I have attached a video of the discus showing their breathing condition. I would really appreciate it if you could check it out cause I'm afraid the disease has spread among them all.

P.S: As you can see, the aquarium plant is also deteriorating :/
Thanks again 😊

Who sold you the discus and said they could go in that tank?

Discus are territorial when they mature and an adult pair should be kept in a tank that is at least 4 foot long x 18 inches wide x 18 inches high.

When your fish mature they will probably bully each other to death.

Do you plan on getting a bigger tank in the near future?

--------------------
The heavy breathing could be caused by poor water quality, high temperature or low oxygen levels. Increasing aeration/ surface turbulence should help, as should the water changes. Just make sure the new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

--------------------
The Seachem denitrate is probably not doing anything because the Zeolite will be removing any ammonia and preventing the filter from developing the beneficial filter bacteria.

The Seachem Matrix has the same issue. It is designed to help remove nitrogenous waste but there is unlikely to be any because of the Zeolite.

If you have an established biological filter on the tank, you wouldn't need any of these items. Unfortunately, if you don't have an established biological filter now, then the fish could suffer while one develops.

--------------------
Salt can't be added to the tank if you have Zeolite in it because salt is used to recharge Zeolite. If you add salt to the tank, the Zeolite might release the ammonia and the ammonia could kill the fish. However, the Zeolite can't be removed from the tank because it is removing ammonia from the water.

You could try removing the Zeolite and adding salt. Then just do a huge water change each day to dilute the ammonia. If you do this, reduce the feeding until you put the Zeolite back in the filter.

The Zeolite that is removed from the tank can be recharged in salt water while it is out of the tank.

--------------------
The plant looks like it's being eaten by something.

Ideally, you need a much bigger tank for the fish and an established filter so you don't need to keep buying the Seachem products.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back