Discus Floating At Top Of Water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ok.
In a bad case of columnaris you really need the pimafix with the myxazin.
The only other thing is antibiotics in isolaton but only availalbe in the uk through a vet.

When you said you sterilised the equipment after cleaning I sincerly hope that does not include the filter media. If so, you can now be sure of water quality issues on top of *possible* disease. Thus far, all I have read would also be consistant with stress, hence why I asked for water stats before you started treatment, as I'm not convinced that disease is at work. When you get the water tested, get numbers, not just "it's OK", or we'll end up asking you to go again to get the numbers. Often, LFS's will say the waters OK when it isn't :sad: Numbers can't lie. IME 90ish percent of issues with Discus are down to waterquality.

All the best
Rabbut

When you said you sterilised the equipment after cleaning I sincerly hope that does not include the filter media. If so, you can now be sure of water quality issues on top of *possible* disease. Thus far, all I have read would also be consistant with stress, hence why I asked for water stats before you started treatment, as I'm not convinced that disease is at work. When you get the water tested, get numbers, not just "it's OK", or we'll end up asking you to go again to get the numbers. Often, LFS's will say the waters OK when it isn't :sad: Numbers can't lie. IME 90ish percent of issues with Discus are down to waterquality.

All the best
Rabbut

No steralised cleaning equipment i meant, why would i steralize filter media?

Only part of my test kit i have left tests nitrit or something similar, if it was a water issue im pretty sure my 3 other tanks with discus in would be suffering too but they are fine plus over the past 3 days i have pretty much removed the whole contents of the tank for fresh water during water changes, they are still looking ill but appear to more comfortable hopefully the swimming will improve aswell ill keep you posted on the water quality and get some number posted up too of the results

thanks.

Ok. Good Luck.
Rabbut is very good. Just checking your water quality thats all.

Just done a nitrit test and its less than 0.1 no change in water colour at all this is good ill get the others tested tomorrow

Thats good then. As sometimes med can knock water stats.

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/diseas..._parasite.shtml

The image here of this fish is how the fins are starting to look on my two and its also at the same angle my fish where aswell at the beginning of this disease start they swam at the top with their heads low and tails high.

Only difference been is my two have whit abrasions as appose to red and some white on the gills aswell similar to the pictures in columnaris do you think i have a double infection going on thats why the fish have deterioted so fast?

Yes finrot can be a secondary bacterial infection.
The problem with lfs meds there not strong enough on bad bacteria infections. By the time you notice a fish is unwell it can be to late.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back