Dieing Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sparrow6190

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I had 2 pink kissing gourami in a 20 gallon tank and took one out because the other fish were beating it up because it is sick, I placed him in a 100 gallon tank.

he isn't moving hardly at all, he sits on the bottom of the tank slightly tilted and the water current can move him easily, his fins haven't moved at all and he is not gasping the way a kissing gourami should, he is making small gasps, and I think he is gonna kick the bucket soon.....

there doesn't seem to be any visible illnesses except his fins are ripped up, maybe it could be ich?

He isn't able to get to the top for air I don't think.....

He started making his way to the top once, but failed about 3/4 of the way there and just went back down to the bottom.

Should I keep the lights off to try and decrease stress?

Maybe you could lower the water level a few inches so theres a better chance of him getting air. He might just be tired and worn out from fighting with the other gourami.

A 100 gallon tank? :/ If he's stressed and suffering not reaching the air then he needs to be a small 10g tank where he can reach the surface easily. He'll drown otherwise. :-(
Apart from the bullying issue does he have any signs of anything else wrong? If not keep him quiet in his own small tank with a drop of melafix and pimafix and preferably some plants he can sit/hide in until he heals. Best of luck.
P.

i don't know if i could, a couple inches wouldn't help much, and i have a powerhead in the tank.

it wasn't just a gourami, it was also 1 male and 1 female Kribensis cichlid, and a red tail shark would get pissed at him if he drifted into his cave...

I am really hoping hes just tired, but when he got near the top of the tank he started kicking....

im going to just use something to move him into and put an air stone in it, such as a plastic tub

He was just stuck against the filter when i went in the room a second ago....

I don't have a small tank to move him to....
would a small tubaware container work?

his head just floats at the top. i don't see any signs of infection.

his lips are brownish and he is almost white, he isn't moving any of his fins at all still....

i just don't know what to do! :-(

im about to go to the store to pick some stuff up, going to get the cheapest smallest tank I can to try and get him healed up.

edit: I went to the store, got a 2 1/2 gallon tank, melafix, and prime.

someone please help :(

I think that if I had gotten him out yesterday he would be fine, more likely survive, i think he is fish food....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back