Cycling Problem

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jay22

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
My 10 gallon tank is currently fishless cycling and I am very confused. 7 days ago I put enough ammonia in the tank to get the readings to around 4 ppm. Around 3 days later I tested it for ammonia and nitrites. Nitrites seemed to be almost .5 ppm, and ammonia looked like 3 ppm. I was too busy for the next 3 days, so today I tested it again. Everything read 0ppm. From my knowledge nitrates should be read if ammonia and nitrites are 0. Is it done cycling?

Did I do something wrong? I am using the api ammonia test kit and the tetra easystrips 6 in 1.

Thank you.

Nitrates will eventually evaporate from the water.  Although 4 days doesn't sound like enough time for it to evaporate.  Also if you have plants in the tank  and conditions are right they will consume ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. In my planted tank I regularly read all zeros for all forms of nitrogen.  In fact I have to add some to prevent phosphates from going high. You might want to try another dose to determine if it is done or not.

NItrate doesn't 'evaporate' from water.  Nitrate needs to be converted to Nitrogen by anaerobic bacteria and then it can evaporate.  Normally, nitrate remains in the water until the fishkeeper removes it.

My guess is that you are getting some false readings for nitrite and nitrate.  Generally speaking, I never trust test strips.

Thank you, I will bring my water to a fish store to get it tested.

That would be preferred.

Or liquid tests. I use both right now, liquid for ammonia and strips for the rest because I can't afford liquid all-around tests.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back