Cycling help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Russ2123

Reaction score
So I got a new 36 gallon fish tank on 1/25/17 and I started it up with a filter and heater the heater was set a little high to help start bacteria. Then I added two different kinds of bacteria Tetra and Dr. Tim's about a day later my tank got cloudy then yesterday (1/28/17) I decided to test my levels and they were all great.

GH 80
KH 180
PH 7
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0

So i was wondering how long I should wait before adding fish to my tank?

Have you been dosing ammonia? If not the bacteria will be mostly dead and they will have been starved of ammonia/nitrite. Making your tank unsuitable for fish, I know doctor tims has been shown to work, but personally I'd add the dr tims and dose with ammonia and test daily just to ensure the bacteria are doing their thing before thinking about adding any fish

Cycling with fish food works its an old school technique which I still use. But it typically takes much much longer. Its hard to know if you added too much or not enough. Requires lots of testing and patience.

Tetra safe start is another popular bottled bb which is generally easier to find.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Ammonia would be better. Ive never used food with tetra ss. Its designed to not need anything but many still use the ammonia.

Ok thanks for the help. I will keep adding food as well and give it a week see how the levels are

If you decide fish food is not enough there are alternatives to bottled ammonia which increasingly has surfactants,dies, worth additives. Got to this site:

http://www.loudwolf.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=84

They sell common chemicals in small quantities. Specifically ammonium chloride and Ammonium sulfate. Both can be used instead of bottled ammonia. They also sell Urea. If you put urea in water and boil it, it will oxidize to ammonia and CO2.

Another alternative you can find on amazon.com is Baker's Ammonia, Ammonia carbonate. prior to modern backing powder Ammonia carbonate was often used.

All of these can also be used as plant fertilizer. But in an aquarium you have to be very careful not to overdose if fish are in the tank.

So 5 days later my levels are
GH 60
KH 80
PH7
Nitrite 1
Nitrate 40
Ammonia .50

Should I worry or is it too soon?

You can purchase Dr. Tim's ammonia on Amazon as well. It does not cost very much. I think I gave a couple of dollars for a bottle of it.

I need something now to start the process I can't find any near me does anyone know what else I can use to add Ammonia safely?

Raw shrimp but like flakes have to watch ammonia like a hawk

Do you know how much ammonia carbonate to use?

For ammonia carbonate, sulfate, and chloride I don't know how much to add. You can however get a 1 gallon bucket and add a teaspoon to it and test. Keep adding and testing until you see the does you want. Then multiply the amount you put in the 1 gallon by 36 to get the dose needed for your big tank. Please keep in mind that no mater what you use (including fish food) it will take at least 2 weeks. 1 month is not uncommon.

Most reactions

trending

Back