Cross Breeding?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AshleyT

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Can a platy cross breed with a female swardtail ?

Ita just because they was swimming round the take shaking against each other

No true Fishy.All of my fry were platy/swordtail hybrids. The platys were female and the only males in the tank were swordtail. They spawned for about a year AFTER i bought them from the store. They will also produce FERTILE young

Um, it's not rare, it's actually very, very common for platies and swordtails to mate together. In fact most of the swordtails in the aquarium trade nowadays are platy/swordtail hybrids.

Your stories not unusual either, Dieses; I was reading something recently about some research where they'd discovered that platy females actually prefer males with swords on their tails, even though males of their own species don't have them!

Um, it's not rare, it's actually very, very common for platies and swordtails to mate together. In fact most of the swordtails in the aquarium trade nowadays are platy/swordtail hybrids.

Your stories not unusual either, Dieses; I was reading something recently about some research where they'd discovered that platy females actually prefer males with swords on their tails, even though males of their own species don't have them!

Oh I know its not unusual at all lol. They boinked like rabbits!! I didnt know that platy fems preferred the sworded fish though lol. That is def. news to me. I do not keep livebearers anymore lol. Got to tempted to feed the unwanted fry to my cichlids.

My swardtail is female so am guessing my platy must be male

I'm debating a sword male to go in with my 3 female platys and either 1 or 2 male mollys (1 just started to look like a male uh oh. I bought it as a female :( ) and one or two female mollies. I like sword tails. They look nice.
And breeding isn't uncommon between platies and swordtails. I didn't know platy females preferred swordtail males lol.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/75460450@N03/6807948584/in/photostream/ that's a picture

It's is the same fish just different angle lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back