Cross Breeding?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

First things first. Almost any swordtail that you find at your LFS is a platy/swordtail mix so rules about crosses are a bit arbitrary. The fish that end up with a sword tail, are arbitrarily called swordtails. Once you accept that the fancy swordtails in your tank are really the result of multiple careful crossings of platies and swordtails to develop their present color and fin patterns, it is far easier to accept that crosses between apparent swordtails and apparent platies are rather easy to have happen. The genetic separation of a common platy from a common swordtail is very small compared to the separation that exists in the wild between wild versions of each fish. As far as the LFS fish is concerned, they are kissing cousins. They cross rather easily at that point.

I bought home some mollies, platy's, & swordtails & guppies & a bristlenose. 2 years ago now. They have lived quite happily together, & while the guppies & the bristlenose (male) haven't bred, the others have. This may just be an anomole, but after 30 or 40 fish, which are definitely cross breeds, I don't much care, as they seem quite happy, & give me hours of enjoyment, watching there antics

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back