Critique My Iwagumi Aquascape Please!

XeroTolerance

If You Ain't Blasting, You Ain't Lasting!
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have finally come around to starting my own aquascape! The tank is 20 gallons long. This is my first aquascape of any kind so I really am looking forward to your critiques. I want the aquascape to be iwagumi and I plan on the carpet plant being HC. I am open to anything though and I just want to hear what you have to say!

Here is a picture of the current rock layout:
IMG_5991_zps9134ace9.jpg

Hi XT, that's a very good effort, but it you want it critiquing, then here goes....

You have an even amount of stones, in iwagumi it's important to have an odd number of stones. You seem to be lacking the Oyaishi, this is the main focal rock, all the rocks seem to be around the same size. The larger stones at the front need to go as this doesn't give a sense of depth and this is also important in iwagumi, you need to give a perception of the aquarium being a lot deeper than it is.

As said, it's a really good attempt, so well done for that.

ian said:
Hi XT, that's a very good effort, but it you want it critiquing, then here goes....

You have an even amount of stones, in iwagumi it's important to have an odd number of stones. You seem to be lacking the Oyaishi, this is the main focal rock, all the rocks seem to be around the same size. The larger stones at the front need to go as this doesn't give a sense of depth and this is also important in iwagumi, you need to give a perception of the aquarium being a lot deeper than it is.

As said, it's a really good attempt, so well done for that.
Thanks for your input! 

My attempt at the Oyaishi stone was the large on on the left side, but I think I need to add more soil to raise it up some more because my intent was to have those three stones on the bottom to point towards it.

I'll take your advice and try to make the aquarium a greater sense of depth. 

Thank you for your input! :D

Hey everyone! Sorry for not posting earlier; life got in the way. By using your opinions, I managed to create another rock layout. Please comment and give me your personal advice :)

IMG_5994_zpscddfd0ca.jpg

Most reactions

Back