Craynerds Rekord70 Planted Tank

Its a pretty good job so far, just a couple of things i would do differently if it were me, the central piece of bogwood has to many sharp edges where it has been cut, it looks a bit odd not very natural to me, the crypt Wendtii will probably get to big in its current position and tend to dominate, also the sword on the other side may also get very big and do the same thing, ive yet to see Glosso do well in a sand substrate also i would work on the CO2 issue or you will soon start to get algae problems, 20-25ppm CO2 is to low, algae is all but guarenteed sooner rather later, i also notice green patches at the front of the glass, this is usually a sign the nitrate levels are to low, the green patches are probably bga, i would use a credit card or something like that to scrape away the algea between the glass and the sand and increase the nitrate dosing, keep the NO3 levels between 10-20ppm don't let it drop below 10ppm or the bga will start to appear again and in some tanks it can rapidly takeover.

Other than that, good job :good: im also not a fan of lotus plants, they get way to big for most tanks IMO but i can see why people are attracted to them.

I think the tank has good potiential as a nature aquarium so the best of luck with it ;)

Looks good :) I like all the colour you've managed to cam in there

Sam

PS Can I make a rather annoying suggestion, when you post pics make them a bit smaller? It's a pain having to move the page about trying to see the whole tank. I cant get a good sence of how the whole tank looks if I'm forever moving the page about :) cheers. Sorry this is bit of a moan, but I want to be able to see the tank in all its glory after all ;)

thanks for all your comments. I will act on them asap.

Sam, with regards to sizing. They should just fit on the page since they are web sized by Adobe, anyone else with the same problem! I know there may be loading issues since they are relatively large, but still should be on the whole page!

Chris

Instead of resising them, maybe you could upload them to image shack, and then copy/paste the url which makes the clickable thumbnails? As personally i think the pic sizes are fine, and i wouldnt mind pics even bigger than those.
:).

just a couple of things i would do differently if it were me, the central piece of bogwood has to many sharp edges where it has been cut, it looks a bit odd not very natural to me, the crypt Wendtii will probably get to big in its current position and tend to dominate, also the sword on the other side may also get very big and do the same thing, ive yet to see Glosso do well in a sand substrate also i would work on the CO2 issue or you will soon start to get algae problems

Zig,

The central piece of bog wood i agree is poor. But i`m struggling finding something suitable. Do you guys like the bridge style of the bog wood, would you do the same but with a more natural looking piece of wood, or go for a different hardscape?

You have also named a few plants that will eventually grow ect and i agree completely (all but the tiger lotus which i totally love!!!) So you have recommended removing them for a more natural look, which i stand by totally, but could u name some suitable more natural replacements?

With regards to the glosso, maybe i will see a change, but its growing extremely well! I only replanted it a week ago and already i can see new leaves forming in lots of areas. I`ll keep you updated!

With regards to CO2. I just got my CO2 JBL 500g cylinder tonight!!! I have a regular welding regulator from work and a needle valve, now i just need to figure out how to attach the regulator to the not so standard JBL thread! I will also take your advice with the nitrate dosing!

Many thanks and i look forward to your reply!

Chris

Hi there.

Looking good and healthy, i think you have to many red plants it looks a little bizzy, not sure where to look.

Personally i would remove the plants at the front right and put some grasses or something there and add some taller plants at the back left, but that's just my thoughts.

I love the riccia and the wood and the plant to the right growing across the water surface.

Simon.

just a couple of things i would do differently if it were me, the central piece of bogwood has to many sharp edges where it has been cut, it looks a bit odd not very natural to me, the crypt Wendtii will probably get to big in its current position and tend to dominate, also the sword on the other side may also get very big and do the same thing, ive yet to see Glosso do well in a sand substrate also i would work on the CO2 issue or you will soon start to get algae problems

Zig,

The central piece of bog wood i agree is poor. But i`m struggling finding something suitable. Do you guys like the bridge style of the bog wood, would you do the same but with a more natural looking piece of wood, or go for a different hardscape?

You have also named a few plants that will eventually grow ect and i agree completely (all but the tiger lotus which i totally love!!!) So you have recommended removing them for a more natural look, which i stand by totally, but could u name some suitable more natural replacements?

With regards to the glosso, maybe i will see a change, but its growing extremely well! I only replanted it a week ago and already i can see new leaves forming in lots of areas. I`ll keep you updated!

With regards to CO2. I just got my CO2 JBL 500g cylinder tonight!!! I have a regular welding regulator from work and a needle valve, now i just need to figure out how to attach the regulator to the not so standard JBL thread! I will also take your advice with the nitrate dosing!

Many thanks and i look forward to your reply!

Chris

Hey Chris

I would leave the bogwood where it is, maybe just cover the cut edges with some tied moss or riccia, i appreciate how difficult it can be to find suitable pieces and also how good pieces can be ruined with inappropriate cut edges, happened to me lots of times, i would find a nice piece except someone had taken a chainsaw to it and ruined it, if i find good pieces i usually buy them, and store them away for future scapes, they can be difficult to come across.

As regards the plants, im just really commenting that you have to take into account the final scape as it were, any time i plan an aquascape one of the first things i do is check the size of the plants at maturity and based on that, and other factors obviously, such as growth rate, colour of the plant etc, i will then decide the placement, foreground, background etc. I think you may have enough plants in there for the moment, if i was to remove one plant it would be the sword, and maybe just move the crypt to the background a bit more, Simons suggestion of a grass type plant is not a bad one, i appreciate that this is not a big aquarium so you will be limited in your choices

Your Glosso might do well, just a good few people on this board have not had much luck with it in a sand substrate.....see how it goes.

Just be careful with the CO2 cylinder, if the regulator has a different thread you will have probably get a different one.

Take it easy and enjoy the tank, when you organise the CO2 you will be well on the way (to a bigger tank :D )

Right i upped the nitrate dose on Monday when Zig told me to and just taken new water chem readings:

Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 15-20
pH - 6.2
KH - 25
Ammonia 0.25-0.5 !!! I have NEVER had a reading above zero for ammonia and my understanding of the nitrogen cycle leads me to believe that it can`t be due to the increase nitrate dose.

The only other factor that i have thought about is the removal of nearly all my stem plants!

Is this a problem, normal, or what action should i take?

Chris

EDIT !! :: Just measured phosphate and for once its on the scale, only just mind at about 4-5 ppm !! Obviously more phosphates have been used since the addition of extra nitrate!

The central piece of bog wood i agree is poor. But i`m struggling finding something suitable.Chris
If you're looking for some nice (other than the bog-standard mopaniwood wood) I suggest you cast your eye on the US side of eBay ;) I've seen some gorgeous pieces there and they are true driftwood style. Postage is much less than what you might think - especially if you can wait for surface mail.

I've struggled in my area incredibly too. And even eBay UK seems quite fruitless (other than the usual old mopani wood that leaches oodles of tannins for weeks on end).

bloo, thanks friend! Never see you on msn anymore, u hiding from me ;) Still need to talk to your b/friend aboout the pass!!!

Anyway, i completely see what zig ment re: the bog wood so what i have done is folded java moss over the cut edge. Hopefully when this has grown a little it`ll look nice and take the edge away from the bog wood. I think i`ll so how that goes before investing in new bog wood.

At present i`m searching and searching for 3 triangular/pointed small rocks for my small nano tank! I want one large one, and two smaller ones!!! can`t find ANYTHING suitable, going into my 3rd week looking!!

Thanks again
Chris

Just want to inform you guys as it may come in useful and I also thank zig.

Since adding the extra nitrate and holding it at 20ppm for the week all algae issues seem to have cleared up before they really began! I have also noticed more phosphates are being used therefore i presume nitrate was the limiting factor. I have since increased my CO2 to 30-35ppm (Setting up my pressurised system as we speak!) BUT my algae issue definately went due to the addition of the nitrate since i did this first to experiment on one factor at a time.

Chris

Is the 30 - 35ppm from pressurised or DIY?
How are you adding the nitrate, is it via liquid ferts?

DIY at present.
If u remember some time ago a made a 2L sump in series with my nutrafin container so if it leaked it wouldnt get into the tank, Well i relised that it would work just the same and i could add some mix into that as well! since it would still act as an overflow in emergency!

Added nitrate in the form of KNO3 . just basically upped the dose every other day.

Chris

Good thinking Chris! I foudn a very similar think with my nano, increased NO3 and PO4 usage also increased.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back