Craynerds Rekord70 Planted Tank

Hi Guys,

Well just thought i`d give you a final update on my tank before i prepare to destroy it and pull it to pieces.

I feel i have come a long way with this tank but its become a bit of a farse at present, since i know it looks over crowded but i don`t want to fully remove anything yet since i may need it for my next aquascape. In addition, I hate the hardscape and plant most of the plant layout so there is little point in continuing with it!

It’s been really fun though, setting up everything. From having no CO2, crap lighting ect, to DIY CO2 and DIY hood to pressurized and now finally to ADA stuff! lol.

I just hope i can now develop in my next aquascape. I think that’s my biggest downfall as well as photography!! I really have learnt a lot about how plants grow and i am certainly beginning to be able to use the plants and fish as indicators now which is excellent! Like i say my growing is ok, it’s my actual aquascaping that I desperately need to improve on. However, with some decent planning i think i should improve this aspect for my next tank!

So i guess that’s it folks, i have a few little mini experiments that i will start running in the next few days which will probably destroy this tank so here are so final pictures. Pretty crappy ones as well unfortunately, as i only have a cheapo camera at present! Ahh well....here`s looking to some good future tanks!!!

Enjoy, and thanks to everyone. Everything i have learnt i have learnt with the help of you guys and gals!!

hosttank.jpg

host1.jpg

And to say goodbye on behalf of the tank, lol, everyone likes a pit of perling riccia!!

perlriccia.jpg

Kind Regards

Chris

Tanks looks great IMHO Chris seems a shame to rip it all apart, but I have learned myself that an aquascaper is rarely happy with what they produce and are always looking to change things, including me! :lol: so I fully understand your reasons :) and Im sure the next tank will be as good if not better.

BTW what you doing with the plants? If you find you dont have any need for the red lotus lily I'd happily give you a few quid for it, I'm desperate to get some red into my nano and the lily I got is the green kind, dam and blast!

Anyhoo, looking forward to seeing the next journal :)

Oh and do you still what the HC if you're ripping the tank apart? I can hold onto it and send it when you start you're next tank if you like?

Sam thanks for the response. You can certainly have my Red Tiger Lotus, i am almost certain it will play no part in my next scape.

If i could still send the HC i would be greatful! I actually want that for my next scape so one of the reasons i am letting my tank grow for another few weeks is to propergate those plants i want in the next scape...i am certainly hoping to include HC , if thats ok with you!!

Chris

Ive got a Rekord 70 too but could never grow plants becase the bulbs in them are like only 15W. How did you increase your lighting to have those beautiful plants?

Ive got a Rekord 70 too but could never grow plants becase the bulbs in them are like only 15W. How did you increase your lighting to have those beautiful plants?

Hi mate,

You are the second person to ask me this, i have just had a pm regarding my lighting as well. Check out the first page of this journal and you will see a picture of the first modification, where i added a second 15W tube. Dead dead simple, literally a new starter, new reflector and a few screws!! Can you see how there is then a gap between the original tube and my newly fitted one. Well i just added a third tube there!!! and fit it to that strip of plastic that runs across the feeding hole.

Its very very easy to do, you don`t even need a drill the plastic is so soft that it NEATLY burrows out with a sharp pointed knife, and that isn`t a bodge job!! So that gives you 3 x 15W tubes = 45W at 18g ish tank which works out about 2.5wpg. I couldn`t ask for better growth!! I actually stepped up to a 18W tube in the centre but found the hood got too hot and could see no real benefit!

If you go to the DIY section, someone has put up a complete, hardcore hood modification, stripping the original hood and refitting it.

I found my modification much easier to do, it took me literally 20 minutes! The only downside i can see is that the majority of light is coming from the front of the hood, since the rear is taken up by jewels built in controler box. With your modification you get lots of accelerated plant growth but with stem plants, especially i noticed cabomba, it really reaches forward in the tank toward the front where the light is. Trust me, its only a minor downfall, but a downfall all the same if your striving for a pefect tank!

Good Luck

Shame to see it go Craynerd, but with your new equipment i can see why you'd want to have a fresh start. When can we look forward to a new tank diary?

Well i have a few things to do in this tank. I want to have a go at an idea i have to accelerate the growth of glosso to form a carpet and i also need to start to propergate some of the plants i am going to use in my next scape. Therefore i expect the tank to become a bit jungle like (even more so than it is!!) in the next few weeks and so thats why i have posted the pics!!

Tbh, i also have a lot to think abour re the hardscape. I am still not happy with the wood, and infact with the inspirational pictures from the aquascaping union i feel compelled to move to a different sort of idea.

I guess you`ll have to wait and see what i come up with, lol, probably turn out crap !! But i realise the need for a strong plan, and thats what i will certainly have before i make any sort of intitial steps!!

Regards
Chris

A couple of weeks later and its still up and running. I`m just preparing for the remodel.

Got in a selection of stem plants i am expecting to use in my next tank and these are currently doing well.

Hygrophilia Polysperma
Rotala Rotundfolia
Ludwigia Arcuata
Ludwigia peremmis
HM
HC
Micranthemum Umbrosum (I love this but it keeps floating out the substrate!!)

All doing very well, but i have not nearly enough. I think i may have to buy more rather than propergate it to my desired amount.
Also looking for two more Rotala species with limited success.

Anyway, heres more pics. Been playin with the camera recently and found EV and ISO, also white balance :D all very useful!! Not mastered it yet, but certainly better, still a little bright.

BEST.jpg

final1.jpg

Still looking for comments, it always helps.

Regards
Chris

Plants look nice and heathly Chris :) and the I pictures look good too!

though it was about time i had a look at how that gorgeous ADA tank of yours was coming on and ............ well ..........whats happened? no more pics ! hope you get to update us soon craynard! Did you upgrade to halide? did you trim yet? look forward to seeing it soon hopefully.

DOH wrong thread!!! sowwy :blush:

though it was about time i had a look at how that gorgeous ADA tank of yours was coming on and ............ well ..........whats happened? no more pics ! hope you get to update us soon craynard! Did you upgrade to halide? did you trim yet? look forward to seeing it soon hopefully.

DOH wrong thread!!! sowwy :blush:

LMAO

:lol: :lol: :lol:

sold this one a few months back mate!!

I`ll update you soon, i promise.

I get a Nikon D70s soon, so just waiting on it arriving!

Chris

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back