Couple Of Questions About Pressurized Co2

Amunet

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
We've decided that we think it's about time we try pressurized co2 instead of the DIY kind (that has never really worked well).

Wondering what kind of regulator would be best? They're pretty expensive it seems so thought I'd ask here about which is best for the price? I'm in the US so, any suggestions on ones available here or that can be gotten off of ebay would be nice heh.

Also, where is a good place to look for a CO2 tank? Guess this question is aimed for the US folks here heh. Would Home Depot carry them? Lowes? Ace Hardware?

Also read in another forum that Elite mini filter would be a good option as a diffuser (think that's the word)... if I can't find that, then what would be another good option that's not one of those ladder things.

This is all for our 125gal tank.

And Uhm, I'm sure I had some more questions, but can't remember them atm...

So yeah, any help would be great :)

We've decided that we think it's about time we try pressurized co2 instead of the DIY kind (that has never really worked well).

Wondering what kind of regulator would be best? They're pretty expensive it seems so thought I'd ask here about which is best for the price? I'm in the US so, any suggestions on ones available here or that can be gotten off of ebay would be nice heh.

Also, where is a good place to look for a CO2 tank? Guess this question is aimed for the US folks here heh. Would Home Depot carry them? Lowes? Ace Hardware?

Also read in another forum that Elite mini filter would be a good option as a diffuser (think that's the word)... if I can't find that, then what would be another good option that's not one of those ladder things.

This is all for our 125gal tank.

And Uhm, I'm sure I had some more questions, but can't remember them atm...

So yeah, any help would be great :)

i am also curious about this.
I have been looking into it as well.
I have been searching at Foster & smith. They have a co2 auto system and a semi auto.
I like the idea of the electronic shutoff, but is it really needed, Will you add to much co2 that way. I have read that with DIY you cannot, however, this way is much more possible that it could happen.

What i figure you need is.

Pressure regulator setup to take a paintball can. Does it have to be this way, are they all the same size?
high precision hang on the tank flow valve,
CO2 reactor
CO2 indicator,
bubble counter

Red sea has a kit here,
http://www.amazon.com/Red-Sea-System-Paint...877&sr=8-14
but i was also looking at this instead
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Instrument...ref=pd_sbs_hg_1
i would like to just get the solenoid and go from there.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi. My experience is limited to one pressurized CO2 setup.

I bought an Aquatek regulator with solenoid off ebay. Aquatek has their own website and is based in CA.

I bought the tank off ebay as well from mirageimage. He has an auction here http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-5-lb-CO2-Aluminum-...A1%7C240%3A1318

Both items were delivered promptly and were as described. The regulator came with a bubblecounter. I like the unit but I don't have anything to compare it to. The needle valve is sensitive. Turning it just a little really affects the flow.

Another source for regulators is Rex Grigg. www.bestaquariumregulator.com/

It's a side business for him and he seems like kind of a crusty guy but I got his name off the Barrreport.com website. I've bought ferts from him. The first time shipping was a little slow but I wasn't in a hurry. The second time shipping was very quick. My read on him is he probably sells a good regulator but if you give him grief he will give it back. If you are easy going he will probably take care of you. I am seriously thinking about buying a regulator from him for my 58 gal.

HTH.

Greg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey guys, i'm in Australia and i use the Red Sea pro Co2 system and i am finding, with a few modiforcations, that it is fantastic... Comes with its own reacor and difuser and the 1kg bottle is fantastic...

The thing that i have to warn you about is the difusion levels into your water... You are really going to have to keep on top of it and do the calculations to stop the fish from floating in the morning... But...

IMO i have found that the Red Sea system is fantastic, added to that with a electonic valve to automatically come on about an hour before my lights do and an hour before they go off is a great peace of mind for me... :)

Cost wise, well.. i got mine for a good price, 1kh bottle, and the co2 system for $200... not to sure about what it would be like in the states...

refill of the Co2 is easy... many LFS store Co2 for easy refill and if your like me, i have not had to refill my bottle yet after 3 months :)

I hope this helps...

My tank thread with Co2 system

I was looking at those aquatek regulators.
Right now, our problem is finding somewhere that we can at least get CO2 refilled. There is a welding place across town that sells supplies. Their ad lists "gases" as something they sell, so need to get DH to call them up and ask.

We should be getting the drop checker thing in about 2 weeks. Bought one on ebay :D Now we just need everything else :p heh

I was looking at those aquatek regulators.
Right now, our problem is finding somewhere that we can at least get CO2 refilled. There is a welding place across town that sells supplies. Their ad lists "gases" as something they sell, so need to get DH to call them up and ask.

We should be getting the drop checker thing in about 2 weeks. Bought one on ebay :D Now we just need everything else :p heh

The welding shops around here won't fill CO2 tanks. They aren't set up to do it efficiently.

Try a fire extinguisher shop for the CO2. Cost me $10 to fill a 5 lb bottle.

I found them by calling shops that sell home brewing supplies as those guys use the CO2 to get the beer into the glass. :drool:

I just asked them where to get it filled and they gave me a couple of fire extinguisher shops to call.

Once you do have the bottle filled be careful transporting it. If filled properly it will have 800 lbs of pressure in it and it will be very cold right after filling. Luckily I brought the box it was shipped in so I could put it in that to keep it from rolling around in the car.

HTH.

Greg

*nods* I've read about transporting it safely. It does make me a bit paranoid at how dangerous it can be O_O
Thanks for the suggestion on the fire extinguisher shops though. If the welding place doesn't fill it, will def look up some of those to see if they will :)

Hi amunet,

I've heard similar things for the U.S., fire extinguisher places, welding supply places and sometimes people near universities find suppliers for labs or sometimes people find places that supply co2 for restaurant soda fountain machines. I've started making it a habit to chat with any driver of a truck I see that holds pressurized gas tanks if I get the chance, as information never hurts!

I've been curious about the "electronic valve" regulators that don't use a needle valve that they advertise at aquariumplants.com - have you seen that one? Expensive I guess, but interesting. I've already figured out, I think, that electronic pH regulators would not be a route I'd want to take, is that true for you too?

~~waterdrop~~

No idea about the electronic valve. I'll have to look more in to that tomorrow when I'm not so tired. I would like some kind of pH thing for the regulator though (if we can't find anything then that's no problem). We have problems w/ our pH crashing so I'm very cautious when it comes to things that might effect it.

*nods* I've read about transporting it safely. It does make me a bit paranoid at how dangerous it can be O_O
Thanks for the suggestion on the fire extinguisher shops though. If the welding place doesn't fill it, will def look up some of those to see if they will :)

Safety is a good thing especially with 800 lbs of pressure but I suspect the fear is somewhat overblown with the pressure relief valve.

On a recent episode of Myth Busters, they were dumping fire extinguishers into a fire. With the CO2 extinguisher, it took 8 minutes in a fire before the pressure relief valve opened. Interestingly, the CO2 extinguisher just sat there outgasing through the valve. It did not become a projectile as some have speculated it would. (Now the water based extinguisher did become a projectile but it didn't have a pressure relief valve.) Without a pressure relief valve the CO2 extinguisher was literally a bomb. When it blew, again without a pressure relief valve, it exploded. The point is be careful with it, just don't be scared of it.

Greg.

No idea about the electronic valve. I'll have to look more in to that tomorrow when I'm not so tired. I would like some kind of pH thing for the regulator though (if we can't find anything then that's no problem). We have problems w/ our pH crashing so I'm very cautious when it comes to things that might effect it.
For some reason I got the feeling this was -not- the way to go (using one of those green milwaukee pH controllers (http://www.milwaukeetesters.com/aquarium.html)) but I can't remember my decision process or what posts I read but I'm sure it was from Dave, Aaron or Andy as usual. Seemed like for some reason it was just better to use the more standard stuff (I'm still at the stage where the different gadgets attached to the regulators and major functions they are playing are jumbled in my head.. I'd have to go back and double-check the pinned articles in this section.)

The electronic valve replacement for the needle valve certainly -sounds- like it would be nice but I have no idea how experienced planted tank people would feel about it. Probably those with good-enough needle valves and experience adjusting them would feel it was an unneeded expense, but the idea of eliminating the "dumping" problem sounds enticing!

~~waterdrop~~

Safety is a good thing especially with 800 lbs of pressure but I suspect the fear is somewhat overblown with the pressure relief valve.

On a recent episode of Myth Busters, they were dumping fire extinguishers into a fire. With the CO2 extinguisher, it took 8 minutes in a fire before the pressure relief valve opened. Interestingly, the CO2 extinguisher just sat there outgasing through the valve. It did not become a projectile as some have speculated it would. (Now the water based extinguisher did become a projectile but it didn't have a pressure relief valve.) Without a pressure relief valve the CO2 extinguisher was literally a bomb. When it blew, again without a pressure relief valve, it exploded. The point is be careful with it, just don't be scared of it.

Greg.

Well that's a bit of a relief to hear!

Just took a look at that electronic regulator.... wow, very expensive! Sheesh.... I'd def like to hear from the plant experts around here about it. They hype it up so much on the website, feels like I'm reading an infomercial for it lol.

DH looked up the website for that welding place. Well the website was for the national company. Our local one closes at 5, so will have to see what they do this weekend probably. Looks promising though.

Yeah, 290, way up there and yes I agree, does almost feel like an infomercial, lol. Probably a lot of people would just opt for the bubble counter, needle valve and solenoid and deal with them to save the money... ( :lol: Its amazing what a different perspective you have when you're a teenager strapped for money all the time vs. an old guy strapped for time and not wanting to need to hassle with things all the time... sigh)

~~waterdrop~~

another tip, and i don't think many people know about this, but... if you place the co2 bottle into the freezer the night before you get it refilled, it will hold a much larger volume when filled...

And i agree, be careful about it, but don't be scared of it... They have about an 3/4 inch thick steel housing that can take about 1200psi... but yeah... that is not to say that they are not dangerous...

oh... also, be careful about how you store it at home... if it has directions for being stored in an upright position.. well.. umm... you may want to follow those instructions.. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast

Members online

Back