Corys With Loaches (Kuhli/dojo)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tim95

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Can Corydoras be kept with Kuhli/Dojo loaches? I know they both inhabit the bottom, wondering if the loachs will bully the Corys. They will be kept in groups. (8+)

36g, 3 feet long 13 inchs wide, 19 inchs tall.

This is not a problem. I have both and they never interact except by coincidence. There is no fighting, no predation; they are fine together. In addition as bottom feeders go, I also have Clown loaches and Bristlenose catfish, otocinclus catfish and my Siamese Algae Eater often frequents to bottom of the tank. All of these fish live quite happily together. I think you will have no problems.

I have kulhis and dojos and some yoyos, all get along fine.  I used to have some pygmy cats and it was all fine. 

Dojo loaches will outgrow this tank, so I'd advise against them.
I keep khuli loaches with my albino cories and they get along just fine :)

My loaches are always emmersed in this piece of wood I have in the tank. It has a lot of small holes and such in it, and I hear they love being in cramped spaces. When they were first introduced they did laps and laps around the tank, but the cories just moved out of the way. The cories like hanging out. They're both very peaceful species that wouldn't hurt even a baby shrimp.

Mixing corydoras with loaches is a delicate balancing act, generally speaking the catfish will tend to be outcompeted for food by loaches. But there are exceptions, healthy Brochis spp. could compete with Weather Loaches, with "Kuhli" Loaches and similar there is more chance of the loaches not getting enough food with Corydoras spp.

Your tank is not suitable for Weather/Dojo Loaches though, they would need an upgrade within ~6 months, my old group went from ~6cm/0.5cm  to ~15/1.5cm long/wide within a year and made full use of my 5x2x2 at night doing midwater laps. The adults produce a lot of waste because of their length/girth, needing excellent filtration and overall stocking densities taking account of their large bioload. It was for this reason I rehomed my group of 8 bar one, who was very ill at the time, but later today some ~2 years later this one is going to join a group via a fishstore (they know a local lad who keeps these loaches). :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back