Corydoras Dying

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

acula

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have 4 of these guys in my tropical tank among other fish. These are my only bottom feeders. the smallest of the 4 has lost his colour and seems to be close to death.

I've tested my water and its in good condition, the temperature is right on the dot too.

Should i just except this as a natural death or could it be something else.

the only thing i cant think it may be is possible he's struggling for oxygen down on the bottom, sounds like a possibility?

How long have you had them? Can you give me the readings of the tank? There can be many probabilities that can cause this. It seems he is stressed for some reason or another. What else is in the tank with them.

What are the exact readings of the water? If there is any ammonia, or nitrite readings other than 0, then this could be the cause.
How long have you had the cories? If not for long, then they could've just been sickly when you got them.
If they were lacking oxygen you'd probably see them shoot up towards the surface alot to get air.
Have you added any new fish w/out quarantining it first? If so, it could've brought in something with it so could be a bacterial infection.

They've been in the about 3 months.

No i havent added any fish in that tank for a good long while.

I could give you my water stats but i use AFI test strips and i doubt the readings would help you.

I would do a water change and increase aeration in the tank.
You need plenty of aeration in warm weather.
Liquid test kits are the best.
I would take a sample of your water to the lfs and tell them to write the readings down for you.
How do his barbels look.
Corys are more prone to bacterial infections signs are.
Being pale or darker in colour.
Being listless and lethagic.
Sometimes not eating.
Any sores on the cory.

On this advice i'm planning to buy an airpump for the tank tomorrow

That specific cory unfortunately has died but it friends are looking and acting fine still, as are all the other fish.

I usually do 25% water changes every few days but today i did a 50% just to be safe

i will post here again if any of the others develop problems, thanks

Bless him R.I.P.
Good luck with the rest.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back