Corydora had odd white growths on it, any idea what it could be?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

derTier

Reaction score
This topic was previously posted in 2009, here http://www.fishforums.net/threads/please-help-possible-whitespot.284910/ but it didn't ever answer the question of what was on the fish.

I ended up euthanizing the fish, but it was in a community tank and i need to know what it was that had made it sick, i have several more corys in that tank.

So far, no other fish have developed any signs. The affected cory was a panda cory, just like in the original thread, not sure if that matters. The other cory in my tank are albinos and skunks.

tank info:
the tank is a fully established long term tank. 20 gallon with plants, mopani, and sand. 0, 0, 20 are the readings. I've got a small angelfish, a school of rummynose tetra, a handful of kuhli, a tiny pair of endlers guppies, a 1.1 pair of bristlenose, and a couple of columbian tetra. These will be upgraded as soon as my 40 gallon is cycled.

The only new thing that had been added to the tank were "mystery" snails, everyone has been in that tank for about 8 -9 months with zero issues. Could the snails have brought something nasty with them that affected the cory?

Thanks!

oops, the nitrates are also zero, i have live plants in that tank.

The first photos in the linked thread look like ich, but the later photos...I have never seen anything like that. Fungus is usually cottony, I have seen fungus on cory fins or wounds. But the last photo almost looks like some worm-like creature. Photos can be deceptive though.

A single spot on a fish I tend to leave alone, as it may be a tumor, or some sort of growth; I have known these to disappear after a few weeks, or sometimes worsen until the fish is clearly under stress and I euthanize. If it looks like fungus, dabbing it (with the fish in a net above the water) with methylene blue or malachite green is most effective. Several spots is more likely a parasite requiring whole tank treatment.

It is important to properly diagnose before treatment, as any of these treatments can make the fish much worse. Water changes (major), and quiet can sometimes be most effective particularly when you don't know what it is.

Byron.

I couldn't post a photo but yes they developed into the more wormy things seen later in that post. I don't see anyone else with anything and haven't found any parasites that looked similar so i guess its a waiting game to see if anyone gets sick.

Of all the meds i have i can't treat or proactively treat without a knowledge of the issue. Sigh

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
  • Essjay
Back