April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fropuf

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey.

I'm planning a new aquarium.
I want to know which kind of corydora catfish I should go with.
Bronze, or peppered?
There will be a lot of plants, and tank mates. Guppies, tetras, and danios.
I want a fish that will be active, friendly, and fun to watch.
Thanks.

How big is the tank, and is your water hard or soft? What is your pH? We'll need to know this before answering any questions :)

55 gallons. I don’t know the water quality, but I plan on altering it to the best possible for the fish. I know it is a lot of work, and I am prepared for that.

Keeping 20 Peppered and about 90 Bronze I'd go for a nice herd of Peppered in there.
I love those little submarines that will scavage midwater as well after being fed.
Like the other fish those can be kept on lower temps. There are albino available also so you could get a "mixed" group.
8e39aa68035b82ffbca3cd855fe5f6a3.jpg

the problem I see with this is that guppies and cories (and tetra's too for that matter) are on the opposite scale. Guppies need hard water and cories (and tetra's) need soft water.

You say you don't know what type of water you have, now is the time to find out as it's always best to stock your tank with fish that can live happily in the water that you have. You've said you plan on altering the water to suit - I would advise strongly against this. That can be a fast track to killing your fish as messing with the pH/gH/kH can have you with a widely swinging pH. 

My suggestion would be that you contact your water company (see if they have a website) and check their pH, gH and kH values. If you don't know how to interpret the figures someone on this forum will be able to. Alternately, if you can't get those figures from the water company then see if your lfs can help you or buy liquid drop tests yourself for pH, kH and gH

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back