Confused about testing

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

new_to_acquariums

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm interested in starting an acquarium but I'm a little confused about water testing. There is a lot of different information about test strips and drops out there. So I have a few questions:

- Is it hard to monitor chemical levels in your water/is it a pain?
- Are there any good automatic options out there that would mean I didn't have to worry about it so much?

I really love fish so would hate to have them die on me as soon as I tried setting up a tank. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFF. To your direct questions in reverse order to better explain:

Are there any good automatic options out there that would mean I didn't have to worry about it so much?

No. But it is not difficult. Water tests are essential initially, but once an aquarium is established, periodic tests of certain parameters are important.

Ammonia and nitrite should be tested initially, as these are the first two of three nitrogen issues you need to monitor. Once ammonia and nitrite are zero for consecutive days, you monitor nitrate. Nitrate should be tested for a while, getting down to once a week (just prior to the water change is the best time, more frequently if nitrate is problematic). If fish begin to die or show signs of disease or problems, testing these three forms of nitrogen is always one of the first steps to solving the problem.

You should also have a pH test kit. Initially you will want to know the pH of your source water, and then monitor the ph of the aquarium water because it will often alter over time. This also relates to the hardness of the water, the GH (general or total hardness) and the carbonic hardness (KH or Alkalinity). Knowing GH and KH of your source water is a very important thing; some fish have specific requirements when it comes to the hardness. But as these affect pH you want to know the initial lay of the land, so to speak, so you know what you should likely expect, and if anything needs to bee done in that regard.

Is it hard to monitor chemical levels in your water/is it a pain?

No to both of these questions. Test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH are easy to use; liquid regent test kits are better than test strips, though the latter may help in an emergency if you only have them. A good kit we frequently recommend is the API Master Combo liquid test kit; it has ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

You generally do not need to test GH and KH as these tend not to fluctuate from the source water, though there are exceptions but I won't get into all that. Searching thee website of your water authority may provide you with these two numbers, and that is all you need.

Testing is a matter of putting a small volume of test water into the test tube (usually 5 ml, the tubes are marked) and adding a set number of drops (depends upon the test) of the regent. Colour charts for each test are included in the kits. Testing tap water is the same as aquarium water, with one exception, pH; for tap water you need to out-gas the CO2 by letting a glass of tap water sit 24 hours before testing. This only applies to pH for tap water; tank water is tested as soon as you remove the 5ml of water to test.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

As Byron said, use liquid test kits rather than paper strips. Liquid test kits are much more accurate.

20 years ago there were digital probes that you put in water and it gave you a read out of what is in the water. You can still get them but they are crazy expensive and require a pc/ laptop to plug into, and software to be installed. The liquid test kits are simple and easy to use and a lot cheaper than the digital probes and devices out there.

----------------------
Most aquarium fishes die from poor water quality caused by over feeding and a filter that is not established. If you set the tank up and cycle the filters without fish, you will have fewer problems. However, you can cycle a tank with fish in and not have issues either if you are careful with feeding and water changes. Cycling the filters is where you allow the filters time to develop beneficial bacteria that break down ammonia into nitrite and that gets converted into nitrate.
It is preferable to cycle the tank's filter with an artificial ammonia source rather than having fish in the tank while the filters develop.

You can cycle filters in a separate container and add them to the tank later on. This is a common practice for people thinking about getting a tank but haven't got one yet. They get a small air operated sponge filter or small internal power filter and put it in a bucket of water with some ammonia and allow it to run. When they get the tank they move the filters into it and finish the cycling in the tank if they require.

The other reason aquarium fishes die is from diseases they contract at the petshop. You should quarantine any new fish for several weeks before it is added to the main display tank. A plastic storage container or small spare tank can be used to quarantine new fishes.

If you keep the tank clean with regular water changes and gravel cleans, and you don't over feed, and don't add diseased fish to the tank, your fish should live for a long time :)

Thank you both for your replies!

No to both of these questions. Test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH are easy to use; liquid regent test kits are better than test strips, though the latter may help in an emergency if you only have them.

In terms of the test strips vs liquid, what makes them less accurate? Is it harder to read them correctly to get a result or are they inherently less accurate because of the reaction? What I mean to say is if you're careful with reading them, could you use them instead of liquid? I ask because they seem less complicated.

The other reason aquarium fishes die is from diseases they contract at the petshop. You should quarantine any new fish for several weeks before it is added to the main display tank. A plastic storage container or small spare tank can be used to quarantine new fishes.

How long do you need to quarantine a fish for? :)

Also I saw something called a Seneye, it doesn't do some of the things you said (GH, KH), does that mean I shouldn't bother looking at it?

the seneye looks like an updated version of the digital probes we used years ago except they only do 2 or 3 tests.
As a general rule try to avoid digital devices, they can be useful but for a beginner liquid test kits are my choice, or just take a glass of tank water to the pet shop and get them to test it.

New fish should be quarantined for a minimum of 2 weeks and preferably 4 weeks or longer if necessary.
eg: you get some new fish and they are fine for a week but then get sick. You spend 2 or 3 weeks treating them and they are no longer sick. You need to keep them quarantined for at least 2 more weeks after that.

When you add your first few fish there is no need to quarantine because you don't have any fish to infect.
Just in case you think you are in for a lifetime of regular water testing ...
I agree with those that said liquid tests are best but as others have pointed out pH, GH and KH will be relatively stable once the tank is established. Personally I do keep a pack of test strips. Part of my weekly water change routine is to wave a strip in the water and check that everything is what I expect it to be. If it is (and it usually is) there is no need to do anything further. I probably spend less time a week maintaining my aquarium than looking after the dog (although the walks do me good as well :)).

Having said that I am about to set up a new tank. I will use the liquid tests before adding fish and once I do add fish I will continue to test daily until I am satisified that the system is stable (in the biological sense).

In terms of the test strips vs liquid, what makes them less accurate? Is it harder to read them correctly to get a result or are they inherently less accurate because of the reaction? What I mean to say is if you're careful with reading them, could you use them instead of liquid? I ask because they seem less complicated.

Most in the hobby consider liquid test kits more reliable than test strips. This alone convinced me to acquire liquid test kits and I have never used test strips. Strips are better than nothing, but they can deteriorate due to temperature, moisture in the air, and such. Liquid regents do not have this problem, though they do or may become less reliable after time. The API kits have dates on them.

Filling a test tube up to the 5 ml line around the tube is not difficult, and then adding a certain number of drops is not difficult. And you can rely more on the results.

On the question of quarantine of new fish. For 20+ years I never quarantined. I may have been lucky, but it is also a fact that farm-raised fish today are far more susceptible to difficult diseases than was the case in the past. Then I acquired a group of tetras that certainly appeared healthy; within one week half of them were dead and I ended up losing 1/3 of the fish I had kept in that tank for years. It turned out to be an internal protozoan; there is absolutely no way to discern internal issues like protozoan or bacterial in most cases as they can have no external symptoms until the fish suddenly dies. I now QT new fish for several weeks. It can be weeks before fish succumb to such problems. I keep farm raised fish in the QT for 5-6 weeks minimum. Wild caught fish generally 2-3 weeks. Since I began this practice four years ago after that issue mentioned, I have not lost any of my existing fish to introduced disease; my wild caught fish have adjusted well. I rarely acquire farm fish now.

Something needs to be said about the quarantine tank. Here we are talking a separate tank to quarantine new fish acquisitions for a period of time, as opposed to a hospital tank to treat a fish for some specific disease. These are two very different things, and should be handled very differently.

Use a smallish aquarium for the QT of new fish. If the fish is expected to live in that space for several weeks, it needs to be more than a pail or container. It needs to be a proper environment for that species. If not, the fish will only suffer further stress, and be less likely to get over it. There should be a substrate (fish "expect" this, so it is more stress if not present), some décor (it can be artificial or real wood and/or rock), and floating plants. Not only do live plants use ammonia and thus keep the water in better condition, they shade the overhead light and this is crucial for many forest fish.

My QT for new fish is a 20g planted tank that runs permanently. It may have no fish in it for months, but I still keep it running with weekly partial water changes. This had a couple of considerable advantages. It provides an environment immediately that is established and identical to that in the display tank that the fish will eventually be moved into, so that reduces secondary stress a lot. It also means the fish are immediately placed in a stable environment, further reducing stress; the stress of fish being captured, held, transported, dumped into a store tank with in most cases a completely inappropriate environment (water parameters, conditions, aquascape, space) is very significant. Ending this stress as soon as possible will always benefit. But even when a permanent tank cannot be provided, it is very important to make the temporary tank as "home-like" as possible. You will save fish.

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the replies :)

Just in case you think you are in for a lifetime of regular water testing ...
I agree with those that said liquid tests are best but as others have pointed out pH, GH and KH will be relatively stable once the tank is established. Personally I do keep a pack of test strips. Part of my weekly water change routine is to wave a strip in the water and check that everything is what I expect it to be.

Out of interest, how much does it tend to cost per year to test to your schedule?

once the aquarium is established and everything is running fine, the only time I test is if there is an issue, eg: sick fish, unexplained death. Apart from that I don't test once the tank is established. Others probably do but I don't see any point if you're doing regular water changes and gravel cleans.

Out of interest, how much does it tend to cost per year to test to your schedule?
For the strips only about £6. A pack of 25 lasts a year (if you store them properly). I cut them in half longways so 25 strips = 50 tests.
You should be aware that these don't test ammonia. What I look at in this order:
Do my fish look healthy?
Is the Nitrite 0? (White)?
Is the Nitrate in the "safe" zone?
Is my pH around 7.2? (Which is what my tap water is).

But it is only to give me an idea. For the last month or so I have been specifically testing for nitrates so have been using the API kit for that. For the next couple of months I will use the API kit for ammonia and nitrite while my new tank gets up and running.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back