Comfort or vulture?

Arandasmom

Reaction score
Yesterday I saw one of my cherry shrimp lying on her side and another female was with her. I tested my water and the ammonia was at 0.25. I did a 30% water change and ammonia was 0. She's still lethargic and accompanied by the other female everywhere she settles.
My question is, is the extra female like a vulture, waiting for her to die? Or is it offering comfort?
20230515_074447.jpg

I would like to believe that a shrimp could be altruistic but I doubt it. They do eat their dead tank mates. You could put a tasty bit of food near them and see what happens.
I would keep doing large daily water changes until you are sure the ammonia problem gets sorted.

Yesterday I saw one of my cherry shrimp lying on her side and another female was with her. I tested my water and the ammonia was at 0.25. I did a 30% water change and ammonia was 0. She's still lethargic and accompanied by the other female everywhere she settles.
My question is, is the extra female like a vulture, waiting for her to die? Or is it offering comfort? View attachment 318198
I would like to believe that a shrimp could be altruistic but I doubt it. They do eat their dead tank mates. You could put a tasty bit of food near them and see what happens.
I would keep doing large daily water changes until you are sure the ammonia problem gets sorted.
i agree

Make sure to clean the tank thoroughly. perhaps another shrimp or plant leaf already died to cause the ammonia spike or there's too much mulm in the gravel

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back