Cleaning second hand sand

haddock

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I am setting up a 40g tank.

I have been given second hand sand from a friends tank as she no longer keeps fish. I would like to use this as it will mean I won't have to rinse it as much as new sand.

The thing is along with other bits and bobs, she gave me a box of lots of medications so I suspect that the demise of her tank may have been due to disease.

So, my question is, can I wash the sand in declorinated water with a bit of bleach and then rinse it before putting into my tank. Or is that silly?

Any advice appreciated.

I would imagine not, bleach is very harmful, and I would imagine would kill your fish. :-(

However, I am still kinda new, maybe not. It's my natural assumption however.

Hi haddock :)

For your own good and that of the fish, please throw that sand away! Cleaning it, especially if you use bleach, will be more work than spending a mere $3 for a bag of play sand and starting from scratch will ever be.

I'd toss the medicine too, since if it is outdated, it will be of little use. :D

I agree, its very hard to make sure that you dont have any bleach left when you put them in the tank, just use boiling water to disinfect the sand.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back